• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

LDG AT-897 tuner questions

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
Has anyone used this auto tuner for the Yaesu 897? I bought it earlier this year but haven't used it much. So far I've had the following "issues" with it:

1. It started smoking while attemping to use Amtor ARQ mode on 40 meters at less than 100 watts (maybe 80?). This was into a screwdriver mobile antenna that was not that far off from resonance. After opening it up, I found that some of the hot glue that was holding some caps and resistors in place was starting to melt. The smoke smelled like a combination of hot glue and capacitor smoke.

2. 75 meters: While trying to tune the 75 meters edges of my 80m dipole, i won't release the transmit on the rig. When you hit the "tune" button, it's supposed to key the rig with low power, fine the correct settings for the tuner, then unkey. It won't unkey the rig on 75 meters.

3. CAT out port: The CAT out port on the tuner doesn't work for me. The same cat cables/interface work fine when i plug them directly into the rig, but when I hook it up to the tuner's CAT port it does nothing. The CAT from the rig to the tuner works (that's how it keys the radio).

Either I'm doing something seriously wrong with this thing, or it needs to get sent back. I wonder if others are using this tuner and are having better results?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.