• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Leave it to california to ban mobile HF Radio?

I am afraid that CA and any other state can legally restrict anything they want while driving. The issue here is that the courts have already ruled that driving is NOT a right. So, with that in mind, they are not stepping on your rights when they restrict what you can and can not do while driving. It would seem that not only states, but counties and municipalities can do so in their jurisdiction as well, if the state fails to do so.
Lets not forget what HOAs have been able to do with antennas for years, and the new laws being considered will not prevent them from restricting, it will only change how much they can restrict and what the reasons for those restrictions can be.

Reactions: n8fgb
I am afraid that CA and any other state can legally restrict anything they want while driving. The issue here is that the courts have already ruled that driving is NOT a right. So, with that in mind, they are not stepping on your rights when they restrict what you can and can not do while driving. It would seem that not only states, but counties and municipalities can do so in their jurisdiction as well, if the state fails to do so.
Lets not forget what HOAs have been able to do with antennas for years, and the new laws being considered will not prevent them from restricting, it will only change how much they can restrict and what the reasons for those restrictions can be.
This HOA battle is anything but over - either. CA is willing to buck any fed mandate. CA also should not be so bold to call everyone that ever drove a car incompetent, and cops the only ones with enough natural ability to drive and operate a radio at the same time. BS on that. Furthermore, there aren't that many ham operators in whole state of CA to make this such a big deal about it. As yourself, just why is it so important to spend so much time, effort, and treasure to encroach yet another liberty?

Keep in mind that an amateur radio license is also a privilege.
But what is being proposed is ultimately a blow to a liberty.

Last edited:
I am sure they are claiming it is polluting the EM spectrum etc.....They outlawed radar guns and for a long time automated x-band doors due to "radiation emissions'. I often wish California would be invited to leave the Union!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.