• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Lesson needed, TX modes

Luke_C

KD0GBK
Jul 8, 2009
CO Rockies
OK guys, I've thus far managed to bumble along and get things mostly right, but lately I've been having some troubles.

I reset my VX-8, older model, after some battery problems. Now it's back up and running, but I can't seem to hit a repeater that was super-easy to get into before. This, I hope, is a direct result of my ignorance of TX modes and SQL settings on the radio.

I'm trying to hit a 2m repeater. I have the proper off-set programed, along with the correct CTCSS tone. Those I'me sure of. Now, should my mode by "NFM"? I think it should, but I can't do any good with it.

Also, what should my "SQL" mode be? Or should it be "Off"?

Occasionally, I can hear static coming across which would normally be the repeater ID'ing itself. I can't make it out, just hear the beeps.

I looked around the 'net for a good lesson on these things, but can't find a simple enough explanation. Any help y'all could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Also, any other fiddly-bits I might have screwed up in the process? I hope not.

Luke

The SQL LEVEL only affects your RX, not your TX. Yes, the mode should be NFM. Make sure your SQ TPYE is TONE, not TONE SQL. If your repeater doesn't send the input tone back out during transmit, you don't want the HT set on TONE SQL, or it will never open up the squelch on your own radio.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.