• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Lincoln II+ Review

CB590

W9WDX Member
Jun 29, 2016
Trenton Nj
www.590dx.com
So I received my new Lincoln II+ today from sky-tronics.com. Dan called before shipping out to confirm what I wanted as far as power.

IMG_20170506_133207.jpg

They set my AM low dead key to a hair below 2w (in case later I want to add an amp) with a 15-16 PEP and when set to high setting its a 10w dead key and 40-42 PEP. For SSB mode he came up with 16 on low and 47-49 PEP.

Very happy with service.

More review to follow.. Off to work..

I was able to test AM dead key so far on a cheapy Astatic meter. Just below 2w on low and hair over 10w on high. I whistled up SSB but couldn't nail that down.. lol.

Using a 5' Firestik II antenna (900w max) on my pickup rear quarter panel with tip screwed all the way in (with cap on), I got this SWR range with internal and external meter.. This was with RF power up all the way. (Tested low power first, no worries). SWR cutoff was set and on at 1.7-1 as well.

Low end 27.855 1.4-1(band b)
Hi end 28.905 1.4-1 (band h)

The basic 28.300-28.500 was flat. (y)

When pushed to 27.415 SWR went to 1.6 and also on 29.205 SWR was 1.7. For giggles I tried 27.385 USB (38) and with low power I got a 1.4 SWR..

I'll stay in 1.3-1.4 SWR max zone as noted up top to be safe.

Things to note thus far:

You can't save odd freq to memory slots, it wants a normal channel and will revert to such when saved.

RF gain has to be at 3'oclock to 'hear'.

Squelch control is ASC, on, 1-2 and that's about it before cutting off signals. I leave mine in 'on' setting to make sure I'm not missing some distant TX.

As Bells CB noted in his oem review the mic gain has to be adjusted for good SSB.

My house antenna is a Firestik II 4' no ground plane (100w max) and is tuned for 11m.. I have a mobile home with vinyl siding and no metal to get a ground plane.

I will post those SWR numbers when the connector under the antenna dries out.

Last edited:
More things to note..

At some point during trials, the HiSWR the protection circuit got jumped and was allowing TX at 2.6-1 showing.. I figured out that if the power was up all the way caused that.. Set it back at half power and the swrHi worked again properly. This must be why they say check SWR with low power on most websites. This is also a NGP antenna so maybe RF was coming back thru the coax counterpoise.

Last edited:
It sounds like you have some additional work to do on your antenna setup. i'd be interested in your reflect with that antenna depending on how near it is to the cab. If you want louder audio without extra noise consider adding a Road Devil mic to that radio, I had one with my Lincoln II and it sounded fantastic and it's NC so didn't pick up road noise.

You slap a Wilson 5000 on top of your cab and I'd bet you see a big improvement in SWR and performance over that firestick on the back. Won't look as cool but if you want to talk some DX and get out it will do the trick.

The truck antenna is fine on 11m. Flat 1.1-1.2 across band.

For 10m tune down I wasn't expecting wide band from an 11m antenna.. 1.0-1.3 across 28.2-28.750 works for me for now on my 0 budget.

The house antenna sucks.. Maybe an A99 would solve all my SWR issues that I have with the Firestik NGP, that counterpose coax sucks and any water under the mount on the connection wrecks havoc with my SWR. Also with this NGP you can't use external SWR meter as it adds to coax length and messes up more.

Last edited:
So in your final annalist was it worth it?

FM repeater comes in clearly.
The factory mic sounds great
AM hears well.
SSB is new to me, so I don't know yet and haven't tested it.

We had overcast and rain up here for 3 days so nothing's really happening.. My friend with DX959 has same stupid antenna as me at home (Firestick NGP) so he had a high swr as well and couldn't TX either this weekend.

Still reviewing..

You slap a Wilson 5000 on top of your cab and I'd bet you see a big improvement in SWR and performance over that firestick on the back. Won't look as cool but if you want to talk some DX and get out it will do the trick.
x 2 on the Wilson....

I wish I could run my firestick instead of my wilson. I'd even be happier with my wilson silver load. much better performance with the top coil.

This repeater is kq2h up near Buffalo NY.. Haven't tried yet as my antenna doesn't go safely to 29.620.

A new antenna is basically in need for me to get full use of this new rig.
I know that repeater and used it plenty of times. It does require a PL tone. I only asked because the last 3 versions of the Lincoln couldn't access it and maybe this 4th version might.

President suggested different power settings to check that swrhigh protection circuit. Still not working correctly as I got 11.6 and it didn't go into safe mode when set at 1.4 setting.. Sky-Tronics (great CS) is helping me with it with President.

I may end up the Top Gun Quad 5.. Which is like a v6 AT-5555.

Since the v3+ is new they really have never seen this issue.

My new antenna setup for the house settled in at 1.2-1.6 SWR on 11m with the Firestik II 5' from the truck and custom ground plane..

The v3+ receives great with skip on 38LSB today from Minnesota and FL..

Stay tuned..

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.