• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

LMR-400 Coax

Last edited:
Ok,I can see your point there. A properly tuned and efficient antenna system is what I meant. A 1:5:1 ratio is not acceptable to me.

You TOTALLY missed that. There is also no such thing as a 1:5:1. There is however such a thing as a 1.5:1 SWR. Take a GOOD look between the numbers.

If you find a 1.5:1 is not acceptable than you do not really understand what that really means. For one thing it means that 4 % of your power is being reflected........only 4 %. You loose more than that in an average run of decent quality coax cable. It is also unrealistic to expect anything less than that over the entire CB+Freeband. Introducing an antenna tuner will create more losses than saves if you are only trying to correct a 1.6:1. I hope you never operate 80 or 160m unless you have multiple antennas tuned in 50 or 100 KHz segments of the band. LOL :LOL:

Reactions: 5 people
ebay style ad:

This is an LMR-400 Equivalent Coaxial Cable,,

LMR | Times Microwave

also for that price you can buy the real thing times microwave lmr400uf ultra flex stranded for cheaper than the fake stuff,

Yeah I was just trying to find that cable for reference for this post. Just a random sample, showing it doesn't have a solid center, and would be ok for use in a mobile.

Right - if it doesn't have a solid center conductor, it ISN'T LMR-400®. It might be LMR-400XF® (note the suffix).

LMR-400® and other LMR® cables is manufactured ONLY by Times Microwave. No matter how much other manufacturers try to stretch reality, the fact remains that whatever they make, it's an imitation of the real thing. Might be as good - but if it fails, the manufacturer might not stand behind the product.

You TOTALLY missed that. There is also no such thing as a 1:5:1. There is however such a thing as a 1.5:1 SWR. Take a GOOD look between the numbers.

If you find a 1.5:1 is not acceptable than you do not really understand what that really means. For one thing it means that 4 % of your power is being reflected........only 4 %. You loose more than that in an average run of decent quality coax cable. It is also unrealistic to expect anything less than that over the entire CB+Freeband. Introducing an antenna tuner will create more losses than saves if you are only trying to correct a 1.6:1. I hope you never operate 80 or 160m unless you have multiple antennas tuned in 50 or 100 KHz segments of the band. LOL :LOL:

Well ok then. Every little bit helps. M42duster,the Redman CB modulation meter only gets put in use when I'm testing different mic's with different radios. My 959 has a modulation meter built in and I use that to keep the Road Devil in check. CK, I usually stay on one band to talk on. I have taken another forum member's advice and have taken the antenna tuner out of line. I'm going for efficiency now and the cheapie RG8X coax is the next item to be replaced with RG-213. Just don't know yet what (quality)brand and who to buy it from.

P.S. I realize when I've stepped in something :)

Right - if it doesn't have a solid center conductor, it ISN'T LMR-400®. It might be LMR-400XF® (note the suffix).

LMR-400® and other LMR® cables is manufactured ONLY by Times Microwave. No matter how much other manufacturers try to stretch reality, the fact remains that whatever they make, it's an imitation of the real thing. Might be as good - but if it fails, the manufacturer might not stand behind the product.

Exactly right.

I was checking out the loss factors in different coax's. In my case in which I run low power stepping up to a better quality low loss coax wouldn't benefit me much. I would adjust the deadkey power to compensate but for long runs and amplification the coax loss factor differences would make a big difference.

Coax Calculator

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.