• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

LMR 400

C

Chiphauler

Someone told me LMR 400 would be the best way to go with my new Davemade 2x4 because it can handle 1000 watts or more and the cable is small like the mini 8 and would be easier to install in my big truck than RG 8...Feed back please....Thanks

I think I read LMR 240 is but 400 not...I don't have a clue myself about it yet...Just trying to learn...

...but at HF there really isn't that much difference with the shielding or the losses, except for the wallet.
- 'Doc

W5LZ said:
...but at HF there really isn't that much difference with the shielding or the losses, except for the wallet.
- 'Doc

yeppers only when running a beam with a gain..I did post about this
but just for the hell of it got 75' of it with free shipping:)
but still using my prime mini double shield running 1500 watts out of it with no problem..(coaxial dynamics 83000-A meter) reading
so I will give this solid core c opper stiff coax a try!

W5LZ said:
- 'Doc

that is correct for lower power levels. but once you hit the several hundred watt mark, the cheaper mini8's loss will increase and its characteristic impedance will wander around as it heats up. the lmr will have consistent loss up to and past this level. at the higher power levels, the lower shielding of the mini 8-can- become apparent by devices/instrumentation inside the vehicle being effected. we have seen this more than once.
sometimes going with the mini 8 when running several hundred watts makes a bigger difference in the wallet in the long run ( blown amplifiers, melted coax, etc) than buying the lmr 240 to begin with. not saying this is always the case, but we have seen it happen with mini 8 when we have not seen it with lmr products.

antenna's and feedlines ........always nice to get the best if the wallet has no problem with it. I've had so many no name brands of coax over the years and they all worked for what I
needed them for , I don't run mega watts , never did ,never will , I can't count how many times I've used simple RG 58 that got the jobs done and then some. I use mini 8 now and I think it's Belden ? but I've ran Rat Shack mini 8 as well over the years , no big deal to me for what I run. But I will agree with this .....antenna and feedlines should more then likely be the 2 things in a radio situation that should be as close to the best you can get then anything else........if the wallet says so.

ss8541,
Oh, I agree with you mostly. I try to use a 'reasonable' quality coax (when I use coax), and have had no particular problems up to my legal limit (I figure 'Belden' is reasonable at HF, so is/was 'international'). Coax just isn't my 'preferred' type of feed line. More a personal thing than it not being 'good enough' or not.
- 'Doc

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.