• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Longpath to Australia talking to this Monster

Mr Clean

May 21, 2005
I was pointed east on 385 lower about an hour ago and heard 43WR014 talking to another station. Turned to the west thinking he would really be blasting and he was gone. Turned back around and he was in there and I gave out a call and 014 came back to me.l had a signal of 5-5 to 5-8 on him. I was running 300 watts and he said he had a me in there at 5-9 to 5-10. He was running a 2510 doing 40 watts and this is what he had for a antenna. 43RC005 must have been his old call but this is what he said he was running at 100ft. Im sure his antenna was doing more for my big transmit signal than my antenna was lol. Boom is almost 80 ft long All I could say when I saw it was WOW!! First time I know of talking longpath anywhere. Its about 8600 miles the regular path. Does anyone know how far it would be to Australia longpath from southern Indiana?

ShackPix - Shacks, Rigs, Antennas, QSL Cards, Audio and Video, 11M and HAM Bands

Last edited:

It was 8:15 AM central this morning. He said he should be in there the next few mornings. Darrel was his name. I would say thats about as far as this ol boys ever talked. Thats some antenna wouldnt you say CK. He was on the lower 38.

Can't say which way my signal went to Tasmania since I'm using the Vector 4000 but it was 59 both directions from Colorado with 50 watts.

9:00 AM today

If you guys get a chance check out that whole shackpix site Lots of eyecandy. Better than a playboy lol!

distanceu.jpg

Were are my accolades? I did the same thing with a vertical and right after that I talked to a guy in Manchester England.

All conditions and nothing more.

Just a bit freqqed out but the cost factor in a 10 element quad. Not to mention the time and dedication. But doing it with a vertical at a fraction of the cost and keeping the money in the bank is also sure a sure way to keep a smile on your face.

I think a cheap, small beam is still better than no beam.
Still keep and use the vertical too.

Grreat Aussie contacts - BTW.
Talked to Adelaide/AU Wayne/43AU2100 last night for 10 min too.

Last edited:
Im happy with what I have also but its cool to see and would love about a weeks worth of dx talking on that bad boy. 5 elements makes me sweat enough when the wind gets agoing. Talked all over the world with my pogo stick at 30 ft just not as often or as easy.

I was thinking wrong and checked the distance not thinking about it being on the west coast of Aus. Its 11000 miles to him regular path so it was a 13000 mile contact. Still not bad. Peace.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned