• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Lookin for a new radio to run with the TS DX500

racetra

Jul 7, 2011
I lost my old radio in a truck fire and Want to set up my new one with my TS DX500. At first I was thinking of the Galaxy 98vhp but have reconsidered and will now be going with seperate components. I am told that I cant run my DX500 with that radio. I am in the music biz and I am guessing it is a Power amp into power amp issue...Y/N? I know that is a no no!! I want a radio with similar features of my old Galaxy 99. dont need the voice changer crap. I do want echo, a frequency counter,am/fm/lsb/usb.

I was lookin at the Magnum S9 radios. Are they any good. They seem to have all the features I want. Will it work with the TS?

They have the S9 in 4 versions. 2 versions are wattage and the other 2 are the same wattage but with more bling.

45 and 80 watts. Can I use the 80 watt unit with the TS DX500 or is that going to have the same issue as the Galaxy 98VHP.

It seems that all the radios I have looked at have 25+ watts output. So how does a radio with 25, 45, or even 80 watts work with an amp like the DX500....Or does it?

I want something that will work well without the amp on and work reeealy well with the amp on.

Thanks

If you tried to run your Texas Star with the Galaxy 98VHP, you would have to have the driver circuit disabled in the amplifier. It has an internal driver for low power radios. That Galaxy is a high power radio and doesn't need a driver. It just wouldn't be a good match for that amp without them being sent to a shop. Who knows what you'd be into for price to get up and running. Any FCC type accepted radio would do just fine with that amp, it will be way cheaper, and much less hassle. You'll see the same (safe) output from the amp, regardless of what is in front of it.

Last edited:
The DX 500 is 4 2sc2879 transistor `s, there is no internal driver in a DX 500.
The 667 and 667V are the one`s that have a 2290 in front of the 4 2879`s.
The 500 will work fine with a dual final radio like a RCI 2950DX.
If you only need AM mode then the Galaxy 29, the 33HP-2, the 44HP or the 55HP will work just fine.
You can always add a echo mic if you really have to have it.
There are guys that will run the high power radios into the 500 but they have to be turned down considerably to make them work correct, and you risk over-driving the Amp if you forget to roll the power back and run a high dead key into it.
IF you are concerned about some one keying on you at the truck stop.....sell the DX500.
really
The 500 with a good fan on it and a good single or dual final radio is a great set up to use as a daily talker.

If you need a key-down set-up....that is a whole different ball game.

Jeff

Last edited:
RCI 2970 ....... Great radios and they put out a fair bit of power out of the box,just get the 11 meter converson and a proper alignment done,do not have the output increased over what the radio is rated at from factory ....should serve you well for a long time

You would be very surprised at the contacts you will make with what power that radio puts out

Let me ask you guys this, what is the better way to go in your opinion. A radio/amp combination with my dx or a new powered radio like the magnun
S9-175 or the Galaxy 98VHP.

Room is a factor (Goin in a truck) and that is why I was lookin at the Galaxy at first. The DX500 is pretty large.

Then I read up on the Magnum. Great reviews and everything I want in a radio.

The combo lets me change amps..... The more I think about it im Thinkin I probably wont .....ever.

175-200 watt radio is probably plenty.

I guess the thing is that I have the amp and would like to use it somewhere. I can always put it in the old bronco

Wow, I think I answered my own question. Still would like ya'lls opinion.

Also Galaxy or Magnum???

I never had a Magnum, So I can not make a comment on that Radio, But There are still some nice 99v's for sale. If you're just looking to run just on AM then stay away from the RCI-2950 line. If you want a good SSB Radio, Then the 2950dx with that Tx.Str.500 would make a great combination.

Stick with the seperate amplifier for one if something happens with the amplifier you are still on the air and NOT left without a radio to. Also its easier to control heat dissapation with a seperate amplifier instead of a radio that holds heat in getting hot and heat is what kills the parts in the circuitry.

Another thing to consider is the new radios are mostly smt (Surface Mount Technology) and are not as easy to work on or have worked on if repair should ever be needed and the amplifiers are all layed out in oldschool format so repairs come easier.

Last but least alot of us on the forum with me as one can tell you that the Texas Star DX500 is a great and strong reliable amplifier ;)

The DX 500 is 4 2sc2879 transistor `s, there is no internal driver in a DX 500.
The 667 and 667V are the one`s that have a 2290 in front of the 4 2879`s.
The 500 will work fine with a dual final radio like a RCI 2950DX.
If you only need AM mode then the Galaxy 29, the 33HP-2, the 44HP or the 55HP will work just fine.
You can always add a echo mic if you really have to have it.
There are guys that will run the high power radios into the 500 but they have to be turned down considerably to make them work correct, and you risk over-driving the Amp if you forget to roll the power back and run a high dead key into it.
IF you are concerned about some one keying on you at the truck stop.....sell the DX500.
really
The 500 with a good fan on it and a good single or dual final radio is a great set up to use as a daily talker.

If you need a key-down set-up....that is a whole different ball game.

Jeff

this is excellent advise, i could not have said it better myself.

I haven't tried an S9, but have ran a Omega Force S45HP with my DX500 with great results both on AM and SSB. The variable power helps you keep your power level where you need it when running the Texas Star.

RT307

I haven't tried an S9, but have ran a Omega Force S45HP with my DX500 with great results both on AM and SSB. The variable power helps you keep your power level where you need it when running the Texas Star.

RT307

I was lookin at that radio and compaired it to the basic S9 and they have some simalarities. Mainly the power control. Actually all the S9s have that as well. Dual finals with 50+- watts. I might check it out.... I don't know. I also have a Palomar 250 that works pretty well and is way smaller.

I am wrong. It has no internal driver. Still, according to the specs listed on Texas Star's web page lists the output of the TS 500 with 4W input produces 250W and with max input of 20W will produce 500W. I guess I assumed, wrongly, that with such low drive it must have an internal driver. My appology.

But with a maximum input level of 20W, the 98VHP would still exceed the recommended input of that amp. Being that the 98VHP claims a 50W carrier and 200W PEP right out of the box, it will cost $450 for the radio, then you'll have it detuned to the level of an FCC type accepted radio that costs $140- $200 and still end up with the same final output of 500W out of the amp.

between galaxy vs magnum ? thats easy magnum
the magnum s45 has better features than the s9 like memory
of channel and mode.the NEW magnum s45hp im not sure it might have too much
drive for that amp .almost 80 watt swing on am.i do agree that a seperate radio/amp
combo is a better way to go. HOWEVER some installs theres not always room 4 this type of setup. so for this install id go with a galaxy 98vhp or rci 2970n2 or the 400 watt rciffc4!!!

between galaxy vs magnum ? thats easy magnum
the magnum s45 has better features than the s9 like memory
of channel and mode.the NEW magnum s45hp im not sure it might have too much
drive for that amp .almost 80 watt swing on am.i do agree that a seperate radio/amp
combo is a better way to go. HOWEVER some installs theres not always room 4 this type of setup. so for this install id go with a galaxy 98vhp or rci 2970n2 or the 400 watt rciffc4!!!

Dang, the rci FFc4 looks pretty nice. I will have to research that some more fo sho!!........Yer killin me..hehehe!!!

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.