• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Looking at a new Radio for the shack.

Grogan

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Oct 1, 2011
Southern New Jersey
Was looking at 40 channel radios with SSB for the shack.
Buying options seem to be Uniden 980ssb Nice and some nice features.
Cobra 148 gtl seems to be a dud ? Galaxy has the DX 949 nice price, nice features. Up grade to the DX 959 with the freq. counter Needs 1 more digit.
Galaxy DX 979 Nice Starlite feature but like the larger Chassis of the 959 and 949 also side Mic conection. But still need to see how the SSB drift may bother me. Is the drift after warm up a real problem? Whats the best way to go Uniden or one of the Galaxy radios.and which one?????

If you're wanting stability, The 980 is by far the best choice. Might not have as much output as the Galaxy radios, but I'd rather have the stability on SSB than the extra power.

Does the radio have to be new? There are great radios out there that you could get used if you would consider going that route, but if new is what you're after, my pick is the Uniden 980.

~Cheers~

I have allways wanted a general lee or the new Hp40 but all lower price Exports are AM FM no ssb Justed wanted sideband. Also strange none of the lower price SSB radios have ECHO????

I have allways wanted a general lee or the new Hp40 but all lower price Exports are AM FM no ssb Justed wanted sideband. Also strange none of the lower price SSB radios have I didn't check to see if it had SSB or not. I was checking it out. If you can get one,I think Bells CB has the CRE-8900.

Why not just get a RCI2950dxn2 or the 2970n2? All of the bugs have been worked out unlike the 8900 and it's more advanced then most exports.

Reactions: 1 person
I think I would choose none of the above.

The Uniden 980 looks really cool, but its empty. Power is weak, final is weak, and there is no way as of yet to expand the frequency coverage.
It does have lots of buttons, menus, etc and is pure eye candy. Some day in the future, someone will sell a replacement CPU chip with channels, etc, people are playing around with different final transistors as we speak, so one day this radio may be cool, probably the day they quite making them.

The Galaxy would be my first choice, except......IT DRIFTS, every galaxy I ever had was drifty. How bad will it drift? I dont know, but I just read a review and yes, the 979 drifts too. My DX99 would drift like bad, even on AM till it warmed up a bit. That stupid unlocked double clarifier would move it off frequency in any mobile enviroment. However, ON AM it was awesome, and I could with much embarassment, trial and error, make contacts on SSB with it set up as a base. Oh, it lacks the final digit to the frequency counter, you know, the one thats important. Funny how the counter has the guts to show that 6th digit, but it does not have it. Why not just paint a big number 2 on the side of it, because it is going to be 20 something MHz regardless.
I would not bother with any galaxy with a 5 digit counter, if you are going to get a Galaxy, get the 979 and an external counter.
A good thing about the Galaxy is alot of people have come up with mods and improvements, you got the time, tooling and skill, go for it. For my DX-99 they had a way to trade the 1st digit of the counter for the missing 6th digit, voltage regulator replacement and other mods for freq stability,etc. I just sold mine though, the exports have more collector value than real value I found out. If you can find a good deal on a used ssb galaxy, and like to tinker with radios, its for you.

I have yet to hear a good thing about the new cobra 148, but endless bad things, not just rumours, but customers disgust.

Personally in the $100-$200 range, I would get an older used radio.
Radio Shack made some good ones,
TRC 448 Realistic TRC 448 CB mobile - YouTube
TRC 453 and the slightly newer? but nearly identical
TRC 465 which I have in my mobile TRC-465 CB Radio AM/SSB - YouTube
then they made the TRC-485, basically a FCC type accepted version of the infamous radio we typically call the Magnum 257, but sold under many names and variations, currently the Optima Yeticom uses this. The 485 is kind of expensive though, as it can be modified for many channels, even suitable for ham.

President made some good radios, pretty much any President with SSB is good, just watch out for the President OBama, it sucks.

Uniden made the PC-122XL, same board as my TRC-465 but they say its tuned slightly better.

Then you got the old Cobras, alot of guys here started out with the Cobra 139 or old 148

Sears Roadtalkers were good radios.
JC penny made a few also

I almost forgot Midland, I think they made a CPU controled SSB radio not too long ago.

But for now, for an FCC type accepted, regular 40 channel SSB radio, your choices are Uniden or Galaxy.

For export and "10 meter" radios, some of which are good and some of which are junk, plenty to choose from

If you already have a 2950dx..why spend more money on something of lesser quality? Your next step up would be a good deal on a nice, used HF rig...what about a nice Icom 706 or 706MKIIG or even an Icom 7000. A Yaesu FT-897D makes a good HF rig too. Plus you can receive just about anything on it..all the ham bands..all the international shortwave plus VHF 'll have a receiver that can hear things you never could before and so much better quality and sound amazing on the air.

I agree, why buy a lesser radio than the 2950. In my opinion there is really not much better than a 2950 except an all mode HF rig.

I was thinking of the HF rig but was limited with spending. Was looking at prices also the Alinco DXSR8T seems to have pretty good reviews and can be mooded as well.

I think Galaxy gets a bad rap with this "drifting" issue, one person says it, then another, after awhile it gets burned in everyones head. Kinda like if you keep thinking or saying you're sick, you will make yourself sicker. My 959 doesnt drift at all, there's a couple things to do to really make sure any SSB radio stay on freq. Great bang for your buck CB!! Period!! If you're a 100% SSBer then get a 2950 or 70 or etc. When ya turn your radio on, do ya have to key up immediatly? lol. Dont un-lock your clarifier if your already aligned. Why have the 6th digit, you have ears to listen for a natural voice. But, if you want a $80-$100 148 or grant, thats cool, but for $100-$150 used 959 you get a freq counter, RB and twice the watts. There is a few tricks to make a SSB radio stable.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.