• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Looking at a new Radio for the shack.

That would work too. Just making suggestions so you don't take a step backwards for no reason. I mean even on limited spending which I am sure we can all identify with..let's say you have 200.00 and you get another export. Given time..you double your budget and get something you really can use and enjoy for many years to come. Most of us here don't have unlimited credit cards or funds. Delayed gratification is a good thing here though. Save up and when the time comes..you'll have more control and choices to get something really good. Also think of the resale value too if you ever get into a pinch or want to upgrade later. Most exports are like used cars..the value drops quick and not only that..you have a small target market and many ham sites won't even allow you to post an ad for one. You get an Icom or Yaesu and have some fun and want to upgrade later..as long as it is kept in good condition you'll have no problem selling it at a fair price. Just some "food for thought". I can't tell you how many times when I first got started I wish I hadn't blown 600.00 on some new sweep tube 11 meter amp. (True story..a galaxy 1000 piece of garbage) or spent 290.00 on a new 2510. Think of the radio I could have had for that money..probably a nice antenna too if I stretched it! Could have worked other countries all the time not just other states with people all calling CQ CQ CQ DX all at once! Not starting a cb vs ham debate. I am on both "bands" almost daily..truth be known. I just wish someone would have been able to tell me truths back then or even knew the truths to relay to me. (Not saying you can't figure it out for yourself or that you lack the capability to do so..so please don't take it that way..I come to you with this with pure intentions)

Whatever road you choose..just make sure you look at all options and do some research and above all..have fun! We never stop learning and our community has gotten smaller these days but isn't it wonderful that we all do..dispite our differences have the hobby in common?

Reactions: 2 people
RADIO

Just go to qthdotcom, look under ALINCO and pickup a DX70, all band radio 100 watts on ssb, and simple conversion, you won't be disappointed, and budget wise $400.

DOCTOR 795

I think Galaxy gets a bad rap with this "drifting" issue, one person says it, then another, after awhile it gets burned in everyones head. Kinda like if you keep thinking or saying you're sick, you will make yourself sicker. My 959 doesnt drift at all, there's a couple things to do to really make sure any SSB radio stay on freq. Great bang for your buck CB!! Period!! If you're a 100% SSBer then get a 2950 or 70 or etc. When ya turn your radio on, do ya have to key up immediatly? lol. Dont un-lock your clarifier if your already aligned. Why have the 6th digit, you have ears to listen for a natural voice. But, if you want a $80-$100 148 or grant, thats cool, but for $100-$150 used 959 you get a freq counter, RB and twice the watts. There is a few tricks to make a SSB radio stable.

Yes, when I turn my ratshack 465 on, I do have to key up immediately. That freq counter is also for TX, if you had the sixth digit it would constantly jump around, maybe not as bad as the old galaxies, but man its pretty bad when 20+ year old radios have better stability. If you could find one for $100 that would not be that bad a deal though. There are tricks, though most are for the old Galaxy radios, like replace the voltage regulator, but that was where the engineers screwed up. Surely they would put an extra $0.50 into it for a stable regulator these days. You could also build a TXCO, an "oven" or even simply insulating the VCO. It is what it is, great sounding radio on AM and SSB if you can keep it on freq, but I would not buy one new. If I wanted to spend $150-$200 on a project I would buy broke ham gear and work on it.

Reactions: 1 person
Reading your reply Towerdog, i thought for sure you were gonna try and rip my post, lol, thanx for not doing that. When i turn on my radio, i listen for awhile, then key-up and say hello (rude ppl suck) also my radio warms up a tad. Just like with cars, i will never buy a new one again, ya loose $$ when ya drive off the lot, lol. I will buy a used radio off someone that thinks its broke, take the lids off and have it tuned up in 20 min's, i just did this 3 weeks ago. When shopping for a used CB, take your time, ask questions, pick & stick with your favorite one, dont just settle.

Well I had to go with The Uniden 980ssb. I have to at least try it because of the new technology they put into the radio. I figure for the price and The side band being stable I couldn't go wrong. D104 M6 and a minor tweak or stock will see how it goes. I just had to try it and was going to sell or shelf the Cobra 29 LX I bought for mobil but was using in the shack because I hate the display as mobil.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.