• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Looking at Kenwood TS520 today...

The 520 was my first rig as a novice. I really enjoyed every moment of it. I later upgraded to a TS-140. Then ended up selling the 520. Hated doing that. Many years later a friend of mine fell ill and wanted to sell off his station. So I ended up buying his 520 and Electra voice 638 mic. The rig looked ok but it would not perform well.
You could not tune anyone in and make it undestandable. Was just a warble.

After tearing it down I found the grease in the VFO had become dry and hard. This was causing the rotor in the VFO to not make contact. Had to wash all that old grease out, replace with fresh and it now worked for the past 12 years.

You will enjoy that rig.
Keep your bias set correctly. If you take it apart again and have an ESR meter check the mains filter caps and any cap in the RF stage. There is a lot of heat in that circuit and a caps ESR can rise. This will cause tuning issues and shorten the life of your tubes. Also when you are inthere look at the screen and bias resistors. See if they show any signs of over heat.

If you have to replace mains filter caps I use Rubycon 180uf @ 450VDC. These caps measure 1 3/8 inch diameter x 1 inch tall. And remember any replacement cap you choose the top is exsposed and have voltage there. Simple fix is to remove the end from your original cap and hot glue them to the new cap.

Thanks for the tips... I'm thinking about taking it to a local tech for an alignment and go-over-freshening-up. It really is a cool rig, and I like it so much that I am considering trying to find a TS-830 to have all the bells and whistles. I do at least like to have an IF shift! Still, the receive on this rig is very pleasant, even under noisy conditions.

Brett

The TS-520 is an excellent rig! Watch the HV filter capacitors because they can dry out with age. I would
never leave one on un-attended. I had a filter break down on one old mint TS-520 years ago and I was
there when it happened. It could have caused a fire. I was wondering why the rig didn't have the SSB
filter, someone take it out to re-sell on Ebay?

Dennis

The TS-520 is an excellent rig! Watch the HV filter capacitors because they can dry out with age. I would
never leave one on un-attended. I had a filter break down on one old mint TS-520 years ago and I was
there when it happened. It could have caused a fire. I was wondering why the rig didn't have the SSB
filter, someone take it out to re-sell on Ebay?

Dennis

Hi Dennis, it has a SSB filter, just not a narrow option. You guys are making me worry about the caps! :laugh: Already contacted Hayseed Hamfest about a kit, but I think there are some other guys out there that already offer them.

Brett

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.