1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Looking at new amps.

Discussion in 'Amplifiers' started by Grogan, Mar 11, 2016.

1. 222DBFL

222DBFL
    Expand Collapse

I agree with you and get it. Hard to fool real math LOL!! 32a X 14vdc= 448a with no losses.
    Might have different transistors. I have heard there were some amp builders that played around with using different stuff to get more power back in the day. But not disagreeing with the math of it at all.
    I'm curious to see what's in it as well. But that is up to the owner to decide whether they want to show their stuff. And I get that as well if it's the case. There are a lot of variables that could be why he is seeing the power he is. Maybe one of the amp builders or techs will step in and help out here!!

2. Crusher

Crusher
    Expand Collapse

Did anyone ask what meter or meters were used. Not a Fluke, but the power meter. I have a 1x2 here that does crazy watts as well, but after it was tuned properly. It fell inline with the math. Lol. It was an old Buckeye Bully. Showed 350w average and over 600 pep on a Bird meter with a true Bird Peak kit. Nothing aftermarket. But it was a mess on the scope. Lol.

222DBFL likes this.
  3. Grogan

Grogan
    Expand Collapse
    W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

4. Crusher

Crusher
    Expand Collapse

I don't like the plastic case. Can't be good for rf shielding.

222DBFL likes this.
  5. 222DBFL

222DBFL
    Expand Collapse

I wondered if that was plastic. Not too good for heat dissipation either. No fan either. Not my first choice for an amp. If it was a nice aluminum or metal enclosure, then I would be taking a second look. But if I want a new amp I know who I would have build it!!;):whistle:.

6. Crusher

Crusher
    Expand Collapse

It's true regulated biasing. I've give em that. But can't get past plastic case.

222DBFL likes this.
  7. Justme

Justme
    Expand Collapse

The dual MRF 454 is still based on the Motorola Engineering bulletin design and good for 120 -150 watts output using the 100 watt transistors.
    Going above the 150 watts you reach the 1 dB compression point and from there distortion happens.
    Stil have the Motorola transistor handbook here including the design and specifications and their measurements taken in their laboratory.

8. 222DBFL

222DBFL
    Expand Collapse

The plastic box ruined it for me! And the cost as well! $450 for a 2 pill amp in a plastic project box!! Sorry just can't see where you are getting a good deal, be it a class AB thermally tracking 2 transistor amp, it's still a lot of money considering a TNT 600hd is $40 less!! JMHO.

9. 1502gulfcoastMS

1502gulfcoastMS
    Expand Collapse

I was unable to find that box, I did however talk to a tech that knew about it from the guy I got it from. It did have 24 volt pills in it, it also had 2 step up 12 to 24 transformers. He is an older guy and his memory is not that great, he wasn't 100% sure on the numbers only sure that it did have step up transformer or transformers. I think I lost this is a hurricane.

222DBFL likes this.
  10. 222DBFL

222DBFL
    Expand Collapse

Well the math showed 768 watts at 24vdc. Post 28 is where I stated that this amp may have 24 or even 48vdc transistors.

11. Tripple Nickel

Tripple Nickel
    Expand Collapse

Every time I get a chance to kick back and read the mail, I gotta say this was a masterpiece. Some were right and some were wrong, according to what was touched on by all. I have no clue who or what is correct, but it's some fine reading for someone like me. @ 74, I'm just used to plug/play from the start and still today. This was fun, 3's to all.

12. DVAder

DVAder
    Expand Collapse

Don't you just love how the responses to this post just stick to the original question/post and not go off on a tangent.? - NOT!

13. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop
    Expand Collapse

14. giboni

giboni
    Expand Collapse
    Break Break..Does anyone have any Grey Pupant ?

Prefer vintage sweep tube Amps.....but. May build one from scratch using surplus

Putin ceramic tubes. Or even hand-me-down 3CX3000A7. PA160002.JPG

Attached Files: