• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Looking for a new dual band mobile antenna

KC2ZPK

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Dec 15, 2010
Ok, I have a kenwood TM-D710 and a Diamond CR73B-NMO antenna, while the antenna works ok, I need it to work a little better. I am losing my local 2M repeater for the last 5 minutes or so of my communte. The CR73B-NMO has a gain of 2.15db on 2M and 5.3db on 70cm. I am not sure what it is in refrence to, dbI, dbd, db-whatever.... I am looking at two possible replacements from Comet. The first is the CSB-790A gain of 5.1db and 7.7db. the second choice is the CA2x4SR-NMO, gain of 3.8db and 6.2db. While the 790A has more gain, it is also over 5' tall, 62". My current CR73B is only 34" and the CA2x4SR is about 40". Is the extra 22" worth it? Are there other choices?

Thanks guys!
I think the 790A may be out, due to size,but all that gain would be nice.

I have the CA2x4SR, as well but because of specific purposes (I need the extra frequency coverage for MARS). I like the antenna a lot, but there are antennas with more gain if you need it.

Well I am going to try the CA2x4SR. I has more gain than the antenna I have now, and it covers more frequencies, which I may need later. Should have it by Wednesday :)

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.