• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Looking For A Service Manual For A Uniden Pro 538w CB Mobile Radio

Found out my Win 10 machine can't communicate with my 20 year-old flatbed scanners. Turns out FedEx Office (used to be Kinko's) will scan for a modest fee. Today's photocopiers are a flatbed scanner perched atop an enormous multi-format laser printed. None of that "optical" Xerox-tech stuff.

Decided it was worth the thirteen bucks to scan this manual, compared to the price of a large-format flatbed scanner. The expense is deductible, along with any other manuals we buy.

And they format it as a PDF, to boot.

Enjoy.

This totally awesome....many thanks nomadradio... Dan
Well this is revolting. Just blew up the schemo to try reading component callouts. Apparently scanning it as monochrome reduced the resolution. Makes it look like a FAX document with aliased numbers and letters. Component values and callouts are too mangled to read.

Makes me think I should have scanned the schematic as a color document. Back when I had a working flatbed scanner, I found that scanning a schematic as "gray scale" would preserve fine detail that a "monochrome" scan would just lose.

Live and learn.

My all-in-one printer/scanner does an awesome job of scanning stuff. I have an Epson ET-2550...

Well this is revolting. Just blew up the schemo to try reading component callouts. Apparently scanning it as monochrome reduced the resolution. Makes it look like a FAX document with aliased numbers and letters. Component values and callouts are too mangled to read.

Makes me think I should have scanned the schematic as a color document. Back when I had a working flatbed scanner, I found that scanning a schematic as "gray scale" would preserve fine detail that a "monochrome" scan would just lose.

Live and learn.

I found that out a few years ago myself. I found B&W to be useless as well, so everything gets scanned in color, then perhaps some post-scan cleanup. If you have one of all-in-one printers (inkjet or laser) you can use that scanner. It'll send it directly to your documents folder, creating a folder with the date of scan (just in case you didn't know, or have an all-in-one sitting in the corner. That's how I started. I switched to an all-in-one color laser and was going to donate or toss the inkjet, but it works fine as just a scanner).

... I should have scanned the schematic as a color document. Back when I had a working flatbed scanner, I found that scanning a schematic as "gray scale" would preserve fine detail that a "monochrome" scan would just lose.
Well ... not bad results for the first time with a new machine. For the schematic pages, I would scan them at 600 dpi, greyscale. Whether JPG or PDF no matter. I prefer using PDF reader software for zooming in on a schematic over using JPG viewer software.

My HP flatbed scanner is still hooked up to a Windows 7 machine which I have kept alive. Never will attempt to put any newer version of Windows on it just to avoid the situation you got into. I have worked with Windows since v1 so I've learned a few things over the years.

Second try. Scanned as color. Seems to boost resolution, at least enough to read now.

Odd part is that the previous monochrome scan looked better printed on paper than it does on a display screen. Still trying to wrap my mind around that.

Attachments

• Uniden_PRO538W_schemo.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • Uniden_PRO538_layout.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
Reactions: tecnicoloco
I always scan in color at 600 DPI. Depending on the particular scanner or software driver, gray scale could possibly be something less than 256. Scanning in full color assures me that will never be an issue. To save on file size, the document is later converted to gray scale using a paint program that I trust. At that time the cover page is often left in color to preserve originality. I didn’t get into enhancing many of the pages as they simply became too challenging. Not just resolution issues, but the waviness of the schematic. None the less I appreciate keeping all those pages in my archive. I believe someone at the corporate level has a better representation. Hopefully the original will be released at some point. You may want to include my redraw of page 26. The fonts and boxes are changed for easy viewing at a 50% or greater zoom level.

Page26.jpg

This is my final cleaned rendition. Unless the pages were wired together or had associated circuit boards, they were separated and orientated vertically for monitor viewing. Page 30 was missing.

Attachments

• Uniden PRO538W.pdf
    30.5 MB · Views: 8

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.