• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

LOOKING FOR A TUBE AMPLIFIER REPAIR SHOP

TonyV225

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 18, 2005
Wisconsin
I have an Ameritron AL-84 HF amplifier that started to smell of a burnt resistor or diode after blowing it out with mild air presure oneday Im not sure what was happening but I unplugged it and I would like to have it looked at and straightend out I was thinking about selling it as is for parts or repair but it would be good for the kids seeings how it has the 10 meter modification for them for 10 meters and isnt huge like my other amplifiers so it would fit on there little bench.

I am not sure of who repairs these and whos reliable I could send it to Ameritron but thats a last resort if thats what I indeed decide to do with this little workhorse I was pretty upset when it happened but I just put it away and really cant b!+ch about it seeings how I had this amplifier since about 1997 or so it was put away for some time so it may even be a bad cap ETC anyways any help is appreciated I know someone out here has to know of a good reliable smart tech that can repair these and update any updates for them Thanks...... Tony

AL-84 AMP

Tony: You might open the old girl up before you plan on spending 30 or 40 bucks to ship her some where.
There are a few guys still around that will work on that circuit...GLA-1000/Al-84/Amp Supply LA-1000(I think) all about the same 4/6je6/6lq6/6mj6...etc...not a bad little package when tubes were $15 or $20 each...
Now days just to expensive to retube...I converted the GLA-1000B's to EL509's nice rugged tube and about $100 for a NOS set...
However if the tubes are good a few new caps and diodes(easy fix) and she will work good as new...

There are several hams on QTH site who sell Pwr Sply rebuild kits and I think W8CQ(Harbaugh electronics) also has one for Dentron amps...
I have one over here on the bench now I was getting ready to do the EL-509 conversion again...I have thought I might try the GI7BT this time around...we will see when I get back to it.

I am putting parts together for a 4-1000A RF deck maybe a few more Hamfests I'll have the C1/C2 vacuum 7.5 KV caps I need to start laying her out...I already have 5KV caps but I can make that supply do 6KV+ so I think I'll go up a notch on the tank circuit parts.

I'll bet you can fix the old girl(AL-84) if you look her over good...
All the Best
BJ

PS: if you need a copy of the manual and diagram...I have it on my drive...I can email to you..GL OM BJ

Last edited:
Good advice 'Doc', Justin might hang on to it for too long then package it for shipping poorly and you might find youself in the same boat you were in once before. Shipper has to make the claim, wonder why he never did?

I had to send my Ameritron 800H into Ameritron for repairs last year. They turned it around in about 3-4 weeks if I remember correctly. If you call them and ask for customer service, they will tell you up front what the current wait time is based on how backed up they are. When I sent mine in, they went over everything to make sure it was in top working order, not just the problem I sent it in for. I thought the prices were very reasonable.

I know it's a long way from you but Ray in Elkin NC is very very good with all types of tube amplifiers. From 100 watt 2 tube Palomar's to custom built 50Kw Superbowl amps,he is the man on the east coast! This is the guy that originally built the Elkin amps back in the day.

You will most likely be looking at a 2 week turn around. His skills are in high demand so he can sometimes get a little behind but you can be sure that when you get it back it will be right! And yes he does stand behind his work.

I cant find his number right now but if you call these guys,they can put you in contact with him.

www.escelkin.com..they

moleculo do you use that 811H on AM ? if so what kind od deadkey and modulated power are you putting into it and what are you getting out of it ?

thanks ;)

thanks for the input and as far as Justin working on it you need to read a little bit HE DOES NOT DO RADIO WORK ANYMORE nor do I think he even messed with tube amplifiers. Not surprising as there really are not a whole lot of tube amp experts available or that are even reliable. I would rather it went to a smart know how reputable kind of person other than send it to one of the 1000 readily available trailer park / basement with a beer in one hand repair 10/4 good buddy golden scewdriver guys.

If this was an exforce / magnaforce / palomar boomer special i could send it or take anywhere if I couldnt find the problem myself. HC714 Ill tell you I never want to go through a shipping hassle like I had with UPS when that all went down it was terrible I wouldnt wish it on anyone. Rather it was poor packing or whatever UPS jerked me around pretty bad and I been hearing and seeing the same crap happen to others.

Needless to say IDONT USE UPS ANYMORE they left s sore spot with there customer service and so called claim center. Man if I ship this Ameritron out this will be a MAJOR MAJOR PACKING FIESTA HERE!! Stuff has to be packed so that you yourself can drop it and it will survive in this day and age.

Last edited:
Remove tubes, pack separately, ship to Ameritron. Ask first, and I'm sure it'll take longer than you'd expect, but they really do know how to fix them. Don't want to use UPS, ship FedEx. We even have a packing service here, so you may where ever you live. Use them, tell'em double, or triple box it to survive destructive handling. I'll bet they will, and I'll bet it survives.
If all that sounds like a waste of time, try calling Ameriton's customer service and ask to speak with a technician. Most of the time they will be tickled to help YOU fix the thing. (Ameritron says you can do the repairs even under warranty.)
But it's up to you, do whatever you want...
- 'Doc

moleculo do you use that 811H on AM ? if so what kind od deadkey and modulated power are you putting into it and what are you getting out of it ?

thanks ;)

Actually I mistyped (and corrected the post). It's an 800H with dual 3cx800A7 tubes. It's been a while since I used in on AM, so I don't remember what it will do. My 746Pro doesn't put out a perfect 4:1 peak to carrier ratio, so it's kind've tough to tell what the amplifier is capable of.

When I sent the 800H to Ameritron (they'll tell you to remove the tubes and chimneys) I used UPS, double boxed it, and told them at the counter that it was "worth $3000+ so don't F' it up". Of course I paid for insurance, too. That makes it expensive to ship, but it's still cheaper than buying a new one. When I told them what the contents were worth they put several fragile, etc. labels on the package and made a note in the computer about the content's worth. I don't know if it made any difference, but I got the amp there and back in one piece.

thanks for the input and as far as Justin working on it you need to read a little bit HE DOES NOT DO RADIO WORK ANYMORE nor do I think he even messed with tube amplifiers.

I'm not sure if you think I was being sarcastic or not about having Justin DePolis look at it but I wasn't. Justin does good work and yes he does work on tube amplifiers. I know, I bought an SB220 from him that he rebuilt.

So you know man, just because someone says they don't do radio work anymore on an open forum thread doesn't really mean that they wouldn't do it for someone in a private message. It doesn't hurt to ask.

It was just a suggestion to point you towards a knowledgeable person.

Good luck with your amplifier and I will practice on my reading skills.

I didnt say anything neggative about your suggestion I simp[ly stated what I was told by Justin when he went out of business Thats great he will do work for close friends as you most likelly are I guess I would do the same for a good friend even if I was out of the trade thats what friends do. I would have to say those who are close friends or good friends with him have the advantage of having a good tech still in there reach to have things done.

Unfortunately I only know him from the forum here as with alot of the others here Im sure I will find someone reputable if not theres as stated always Ameritron although I will look into some of the other places and people posted in this thread thanks for your input Cajun unfortunately again your idea wont work for me as it would some of you others that know him better. As I said I had asked him about this a few years back when it happened

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.