• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Looking for advice on antenna setup

bubby1

Mar 22, 2009
Looking for a good antenna to go with my general lee.I'm confined to local truck stop stuff. Are those wilson trucker2000's all that? i mean I can buy 2 wilson fiberglass fgt antenna's for the price of 1 of those trucker's.I will be mounting on D/S mirror of peterbilt work truck using 18ft mini8 coax.Opion's welcome.thx.

Looking for a good antenna to go with my general lee.I'm confined to local truck stop stuff. Are those wilson trucker2000's all that? i mean I can buy 2 wilson fiberglass fgt antenna's for the price of 1 of those trucker's.I will be mounting on D/S mirror of peterbilt work truck using 18ft mini8 coax.Opion's welcome.thx.
I don't think you'll see much if any difference in performance between the 2 at legal wattages and at distances up to 20 miles you'll see no difference so for just a talk aobut antenna the fiberglass is your best buy.

Thank you for being honest.Would like to keep height down getting in feed mills and nursery's not to mention tree limbs will a 3-4ft be ok?

The simple truth is that the more you shorten an antenna the more the typical radiation of that antenna is also 'shortened', or made less. At 3 or 4 feet, an 11 meter antenna is really getting short. They just won't work as well as a longer antenna will. If they will work well enough for your purposes, then that's good enough. I wish I could tell you they will, but I honestly don't know. The only sure way of finding out is by try one. Which isn't exactly the cheapest way of doing things. Sorry 'bout that...
- 'Doc

K40 says .....

.....performance guarantee.....
30-day money-back performance guarantee
Your new K40 Tunable Whip CB Antenna must
transmit farther and receive more clearly than the
product it replaces or simply return it within 30
days with proof-of-purchase for a complete
product credit from the authorized K40 dealer
who installed it.

K40 Antennas & Accessories :: Fiberglass Whips

ask where you buy one to be sure they honor that garantee .
the shop here installs and tunes antennas free if the stud and coax are already in place .

You could probably run the "SW" Predator 10K with no problems...It tunes right at 48". It's a Dual Coil antenna that is what allot of truckers run that have "Height" Restrictions...

Due to health problems, Kale stopped building the Predator 10K's back around Christmas time, but has started building again just within the last few weeks, and the Predator 10K's are just now getting back in all the shops...They will average in price from $65 to $90 pending on the shop selling them...

Why are you confined to truck stop stuff? You got the internet :) :) Anyway, a 4' Wilson fiberglass antenna works fine, especially for the price. The Trucker 2K is just too short and the coil is too small to make much of a difference compared to the fiberglass antenna. The Trucker 5K is a pretty good antenna, but it's a lot more money. Stay away from the Monkey Made stuff at truck stops. The Predator 10K is a good antenna, but I'm not crazy about the double coil version. You may be able to find the Predator 10K in a truck stop CB shop.

With most of these antennas, I wouldn't be worried too much about the occasional whack on a tree branch. It usually won't hurt the whips, and you can use a spring on the fiberglass antenna if you're worried about it. Even if you do break a whip eventually it's not expensive to replace.

Thanks for advice all.What's the diference between say a wilson top load fiberglass and a k40 or firestik,francis will they all pretty much give the same results?They prettymuch arethe same price range for all.

They're pretty much all the same. There might be some difference in build quality, weight, etc. but performance in that size antenna is going to be pretty much the same.

Well I am not a fan of fiberglass antennas hitting them a couple times I have always had bad luck with them coming loose at the base. You can do what you want but if you are going to go where you say you are I would use one trucker 2000 on the drivers side with good coax. In my opinion the dual setup looks good but not really a good setup.

if ya get the fiberglass wilson get the silverload NOT the flexable one
the silverload was thier best.id try the 4ft.mine worked great mounted
on passengerside of my truck [4x4]mounted it there so i could still go thru
drive thrus.roof didnt extend that far out.the wilson truckers are great
antennas but you need the longer shafts to get above the cab .thier called
wilson 2000sw these work great.if ya gonna run power id definately
get this antenna will handle power way better than the fiberglass ones.

Well I can't seem to get the 3ft wilson to tune at all swr are throughthe roof no matter what I did.Is there a way to tell if antenna is way short/long cause won't that cause high swr?I put the 4ft k40 on and got swr down to 1.3 on all channels.I will run it for a few day's and see what happens.thxxx all.

Well I can't seem to get the 3ft wilson to tune at all swr are throughthe roof no matter what I did.Is there a way to tell if antenna is way short/long cause won't that cause high swr?I put the 4ft k40 on and got swr down to 1.3 on all channels.I will run it for a few day's and see what happens.thxxx all.
You did install the insulator correctly on the 3' wilson?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned