• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Looking for an amp for the 11m base

highspeed556

Jun 1, 2015
Kentucky
I originally posted this I think in the wrong place under the ham section. My bad.

So I'm looking for a small amp to hook up on my 11m base, around the 100-200 watt area. I'll be driving it with a stock (unmolested) Uniden 980SSB, and I'd like to have the ability to do SSB, although I'll be using it for AM as well.

Unless I'm bad off, I've narrowed down to the following options, but I don't know which would be better:

Texas Star D250
TNT T250

I'm not looking for a big power house, just something to help me get a little further when talking local on AM and something I can play with on SSB.

I know the TNT has "automatic" ssb delay, so would that cause me headaches when I'm talking on AM? How long does it take for it to unkey the amp once I unkey the mic?

Also, would I have to modify my radio to lower the standard 4 watt deadkey to work with either of these amps?

Does anyone have any opinions on which would be better for me? Or if anyone has opinions on a better options altogether, I'm all receive.

I am partial to Texas star amps, I like the 350 v models thus you can set the dead key on am and let it swing forward no need to mess with a 1 1/2 watt dead key on the radio, and TS amps are known for clean SSB

Reactions: mrgumby
I us a KL203P get at h&Y , around $70 dollars drive it at 1 1/2 watts have done for years, works great on am and ssb, don't over drive it, and no complaints.
DOCTOR/795/CHNL 36 SSB/AM

Reactions: 2RT307 and dave457
I originally posted this I think in the wrong place under the ham section. My bad.

So I'm looking for a small amp to hook up on my 11m base, around the 100-200 watt area. I'll be driving it with a stock (unmolested) Uniden 980SSB, and I'd like to have the ability to do SSB, although I'll be using it for AM as well.

Unless I'm bad off, I've narrowed down to the following options, but I don't know which would be better:

Texas Star D250
TNT T250

I'm not looking for a big power house, just something to help me get a little further when talking local on AM and something I can play with on SSB.

I know the TNT has "automatic" ssb delay, so would that cause me headaches when I'm talking on AM? How long does it take for it to unkey the amp once I unkey the mic?

Also, would I have to modify my radio to lower the standard 4 watt deadkey to work with either of these amps?

Does anyone have any opinions on which would be better for me? Or if anyone has opinions on a better options altogether, I'm all receive.

the 250 is the way to go I own 2 one on my base set up and one on my mobile set up in my truck.

If the Texas star works and is in good condition, sure it would work fine. Use about 1-2 watts of dead key or a carrier of about 35-50 watts, maybe a touch more but not much and as far as pep, with the uniden 980 it will be fine, the amp that is, the one you're talking about purchasing. Check the price on a new TNT 350hd. I know they don't come with Toshiba 2879's anymore. Not dissing the DEI transistors, but they just aren't as rugged as the Toshibas. JMHO. But the TNT 350hd is still a good amp. There are some changes that are now being made as to accommodate the change to DEI transistors, amongst some other things, so I've heard. But at any rate, like I said, if the TS350 is in good shape, then snag it if it's what you want. Price is determined by how bad you want it I suppose. I paid $80 for my magnaforce 350HD 3yrs ago. But I know since the Toshiba transistor is becoming a hot commodity these days, people will jack prices up for sure!! Again, JMO. Have a good day and good luck with whatever you choose.

If the Texas star works and is in good condition, sure it would work fine. Use about 1-2 watts of dead key or a carrier of about 35-50 watts, maybe a touch more but not much and as far as pep, with the uniden 980 it will be fine, the amp that is, the one you're talking about purchasing. Check the price on a new TNT 350hd. I know they don't come with Toshiba 2879's anymore. Not dissing the DEI transistors, but they just aren't as rugged as the Toshibas. JMHO. But the TNT 350hd is still a good amp. There are some changes that are now being made as to accommodate the change to DEI transistors, amongst some other things, so I've heard. But at any rate, like I said, if the TS350 is in good shape, then snag it if it's what you want. Price is determined by how bad you want it I suppose. I paid $80 for my magnaforce 350HD 3yrs ago. But I know since the Toshiba transistor is becoming a hot commodity these days, people will jack prices up for sure!! Again, JMO. Have a good day and good luck with whatever you choose.

A new TNT 350HD on the xforce website runs $280. Would that be worth it over the $175 for the Texas Star 350hdv?

Last edited:
Wavrider hit it on the head. Use the leftover money and invest in the best antenna, mount, coax, and connectors you can get for your install and make sure that your antenna system is good to go before adding the amp.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.