• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Looking for portable battery (QRP)

Mudfoot

Elmer
Jun 17, 2009
Southeast Ohio
What the best deal running on a portable Battery for QRP field use. I'm looking for high capacity and portability. I don't want to spend a fortune.

My little CRK-10 does 3 watts, but I'm in the market for another FT-817 as well.

Just wondering what's on the market now. I'm not interested in solar, yet.

A lipo charger like a Hyperion lipo chargers are good for charging lipo, life, abc and nimh as well. Have you looked a kinetic batteries as well, they are not real big and are good batts as well,

You are looking for a battery for a portable radio? If so, lipo or life batteries are great nowadays. Hobbyking sells good lipos, get the highest capacity and c rating as possible. And get a good lipo charger as well. Also SPC racing sells some good lipos batteries. Good luck and hope you find what you need sir. God bless.

As much as i dilike AES they have a portable solor pannel...HRO dont have it.spring/sumer catalog its on page 39.I have one myself,im on oxygen anmd if pwr goes out,have it to run o2 generator and a string of bats....its really cool,and its in its own carring case...the sol-8 its $149 plus s/h 73 de n0zna

I would stay away from LiPO batteries as they have a bad reputation for blowing up when improperly charged. The newer LiFePO4 batteries are the ones you want. Keep in mind that these cheap Chinese battery packs tend to have quality control issues so people do get packs with bad cells from time to time.

The newer LiFePO4 batteries are the ones you want..

This man speaks the truth, when I can afford it this is the route I will take.

The nice thing about LiFe batteries is you can discharge them MUCH further than you can a standard lead acid, at least I think that's correct.

If you get a battery other than a lithium ion, such as a gell cell, which I have found works great and are sold at a good price, I sure would get a 10 watt solar panel and charge controller to go with it.
I know you said you didn't care for solar, but having a panel charging the battery all of the time keeps the voltage of the battery up for a far longer time. Much depends on how much you transmit. The other advantage to having your battery stay at a higher voltage is that the transmitter will put out a higher signal for a longer time and in many cases, the battery does not run down to a lower voltage which is what can kill batteries. Some transmitters start acting funny or quit working at 12 volts or below also. If you don't discharge a 12 volt battery below 11 volts or 10.5 at the very lowest, they will last a long time. Proper charging as well as discharge affects battery life.
The solar panels are also good for camping. You can use your radio for days with one and during an extended power outage, you can keep your radio on the air.
E Bay has good panels cheap or you can look for one of the flexable one's that roll up. They cost a lot more, but are very light weight and easy to pack.
I wouldn't get less than a ten watt panel. You can use a 5 watt, but they really are not enough. If you have the space and are not packing in, a 20 watt is even better, just be sure to use a charge controller. They don't cost much and solar panels put out about 18 volts, so a controller is a good thing to have and it will not allow the battery to overcharge.
I think most of the battery questions have been answered. I won't use a lithium Ion battery because they do blow up or catch fire sometimes, not worth the risk. The smaller gel cell are the way to go for me anyway. I use two 7.5 amp hooked up parallel or just one if it's going to be a short time on the radio for QRP. You can go larger for longer operating times.

73's John KF7VXA

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.