• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Love at First Sight! <3

Don't judge just from the looks or price. Stick it next to an FTDX-5000, K3, TS-590 even a IC7600/7410 in a pile-up and you might agree with me. ;)
And btw I'm talking about the so called PEP version, after replacing the RX and DSP boards. The original FTDX-9000 was pure garbage.

Trust me and get the girl; I bet she performs better. :laugh:

Saying the FTDX-9000 receiver is garbage is just a bit of an exaggeration don't you think?

I'd love to hear about the day you had all those hi end rigs running and evaluating their receivers by listening to a pile up. Keeping in mind, of course, you were comparing them to the garbage receiver of the FTDX-9000.

Saying the FTDX-9000 receiver is garbage is just a bit of an exaggeration don't you think?
I do understand how this sounds, but that's been my experience from spending countless hours on it trying to get it to work properly (the FTDX-9000 Contest model, actually). Even after the PEP fixing program and all necessary mods, FT9000 still was a noisy radio riddled with countless bugs and issues. Two years later I sold it to a local club upon my impending move to a K3.

BTW, I never said I owned all those hi end radios. However, I had the opportunity to compare the FTDX9K against those and some more (mine or club members) at various workshop events and contests. I suggest you do the same if you ever have the chance; You know folks, looks and price doesn't always matter!

Once you modify it to TX on 11 meter, the value increases because it can operate on more bands, SO, you could always buy one, modify it and make money.

Reactions: 1 person
Once you modify it to TX on 11 meter, the value increases because it can operate on more bands, SO, you could always buy one, modify it and make money.

That doesn't always work with every radio, some people in the ham community will not touch a radio modified for 11m or WARC bands.

That doesn't always work with every radio, some people in the ham community will not touch a radio modified for 11m or WARC bands.

WARC mods are not so bad unless the buyer wants a radio in original condition but most hams will not want a radio that has had the 11m mod especially if it has tube finals like the FT-101 series or the TS-520/820/830 series because usually they have had the shit pounded out of the finals as well as the power supply and tank components from someone want to get 150 watts out a rig that was hard pressed to make 100 watts when new. Remember that question yopu had about power input? Yeah, lots of guys have tried to get that OUT of those radios when on 11m. :headbang

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.