• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Low SSB Power on TS 480HX

jc4950

May 16, 2005
NJ Trooper
I have a 480HX and its SSB pep is between 100 and 130. I does a full 200 on CW/FM but on SSB it is low. I have read posts that this is a common problem with the HX. I have tried the proc. on and and tryed to watch the ALC but any adjustmest I make I only get 100 to 130 pep. Thanks for the help Joey

Try make up a dongle and have a look at the service menu. There may be a wrong setting inside. Instructions are in the kenwood mod section.

low power on TS 480HX

I am using IOTA 90 amp power supply to run the radio. The stock mic is used and I am checking pep not peak. Thanks Joey

If your seeing a full 200 watts out on CW/FM then it's making rated power. When I considered buying one I noticed that in most reviews the rig only made 130-180 watts PEP SSB on a true peak reading wattmeter. I think your radio is probably operating normally. What brand/model wattmeter are you using?

Set menu 19 to High Boost and see what your meter shows. Hook up one of those tinny D104 mics.

There are some hidden processor settings that might bring up the audio.turn proc off Set mic gain at 36 punch proc to set pro.0 to 48 then hold proc to set pro.i to 32 .0h and make sure menu 17 is off. Thats how im set up.

I have a 480HX and its SSB pep is between 100 and 130. I does a full 200 on CW/FM but on SSB it is low. I have read posts that this is a common problem with the HX. I have tried the proc. on and and tryed to watch the ALC but any adjustmest I make I only get 100 to 130 pep. Thanks for the help Joey

These rigs are known to have lower SSB pep output. I have two of them and the link below will fix your SSB output pep, You will still have 200 watts on cw, fm etc and the rig will NOT put out any IMD. I used a 1uf electrolytic capacitor 25V instead of a 63 volt, Do not exceed 1uf, If you do the rig will put out alot more then 200 watts and IMD will be horrible, The 1uf will get your rig up to 215-225 pep SSB and clean on a scope, Don't mess with no menu settings. It takes 2 seconds to do and 2 seconds to undo and this applies to the 480HX and SAT model, The rig used as a base station should be used with a Astron 70 amp PS at min for the 480HX.

73, WA2KNU

TS 480 HX PEP POWER LEVEL MOD

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.