• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Lucky?

74IN

Feb 17, 2003
Labia
I've had a number of amateur radios, and all were good, IMO.

Some were new, others used. Icom, Yeasu and Kenwood.

Luck or quality to be expected?

In 31+ years i had Icom, Yaesu and Kenwood, Alinco and homebrew transcievers here.

Treated well, all performed fine, the occasional cleaning inside for dust if an fan was fitted inside, an check or tune up to see if the transcievers were within spec's.

Never had an problem, just the odd little problem, volume potentiometers worn and replaced and that simple stuff.

On an FT 225 i had an P.A transistor go bad, replaced it with an better one, served me for another 12 years without further problem.

Ham radio's are more expensive, have lots more circuitry so the chance some component will go bad is higher.
But overall, the transcievers prove to be reliable.

I've had a number of amateur radios, and all were good, IMO.

Some were new, others used. Icom, Yeasu and Kenwood.

Luck or quality to be expected?

IMHO it would be expected. A lot of design goes into those radios and big $$$$ are spent on them. I would expect tyhem to be good. Now I also realise that personal preferances may dictate which is "better" but in the end they are all good.There have been very few lemons brought to market.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.