• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

M4V power supply?

IRock817

Oct 29, 2011
I picked up this mobile amp today, Messenger M4V, and hooked it up to my G.E. 60amp home brew power supply and the voltage drops to 9-10 volts on dead key, from 15.0 volts. The home brew is junk.
I'm wondering if this power supply will run it? High Power 12 Volt Power Supplies With Adjustable Voltage
At least til I can save my mad money long enough to purchase a bigger p.s.
The amp has a 50 amp fuse! If this supply would run it on low without smoking something I'd get one for the mean time!
Thanks for any input!!!!

Yea, thats a straight 8 pill right? 1446's or mrf455's? With a proper power supply that 50 amp fuse won't last long.

They run 1 MRF 455 into 8 MRF 455`s on the older ones and 1446`s if it is a newer model.
I would agree with Mack, lots of current draw, I would op in for at least a 100 amp supply to have some head room. The Messengers run very heavy bias that makes for a very clean amp, but they are real current hogs.
I had a friend that ran a M4V years ago that would pull about 10 Amps with no drive....the heat sink would get warm just from the bias current it was pulling.
Another thing is keep the drive low....the 455 has plenty of gain at 28 MHz and with the built in driver it only takes about 3 or 4 watts of drive to make it sing.
I would Limit it to about 10 watts input Max.

Jeff

They run 1 MRF 455 into 8 MRF 455`s on the older ones and 1446`s if it is a newer model.
I would agree with Mack, lots of current draw, I would op in for at least a 100 amp supply to have some head room. The Messengers run very heavy bias that makes for a very clean amp, but they are real current hogs.
I had a friend that ran a M4V years ago that would pull about 10 Amps with no drive....the heat sink would get warm just from the bias current it was pulling.
Another thing is keep the drive low....the 455 has plenty of gain at 28 MHz and with the built in driver it only takes about 4 or 5 watts of drive to make it sing.
I would Limit it to about 10 watts input Max

Jeff
Right, it would pay for a guy to add a circuit to switch the bias on and off from tx to rx.

A beefy relay getting it's command from the amps switch over relay just might do the trick ;)

they do have a bias relay, early m4v's are biased 10x harder than is needed, they get warm/hot with just the bias activated, a simple mod fixes the heat issue without spoiling ssb audio.

Now I feel like a kid with a new toy that has been told not to play with it!
I'm exited to get some good news about the quality though.
I've been running alittle Magnum 6000 and was looking forward to the upgrade. I'll take this back out of line and set it in the closet until I find a good deal on a hundred amp supply. After all this expense I maybe should have just gotten a tuber in the first place. I'm just worried about rfing my neibors too death.
If anyone knows of a good ps for a real good deal give me a heads up. Until then I'll just be out here scratching the surface with the Magnum.
Thanks for all the input.
:whistle:

That "little" Magnum 6000 is a very nice amp as well, 4 2sc2879`s with a decent regulated bias set-up, hang on to that.
If you get time, snap a picture of the inside of that amp ( and the M4V ) and post it, not many people have seen the inside of those.

Jeff

[/ATTACH][/ATTACH] This is some poor pics of the Magnum 4000. The outside looks like it had been through a war but the inside looks real clean..It works very well. My Penetrator 500 is at 36' and about 30' from my neighbor's house with no issues. ;)

Attachments

• Magnum 4000.jpg
    Magnum 4000.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 229
  • Magnum 2.jpg
    Magnum 2.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 230
  • Magnum 1.jpg
    Magnum 1.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 88
Thanks, And I thought the 4000 was a 6000, MRF 454`s in that one I think, and if you do not over drive them they should continue to last.
I had a 6000 and I let someone talk me out of it.....:sad:

Jeff

Thanks, And I thought the 4000 was a 6000, MRF 454`s in that one I think, and if you do not over drive them they should continue to last.
I had a 6000 and I let someone talk me out of it.....:sad:

Jeff

Your right! I had a brain fart in my other post and said it was a 6000. :blushing:
Wishful thinking I guess!

The 4000 does well though. I can't tell what pills are in it because the ground strap has them covered!

I'm hoping to find a big enough p.s. and maybe trade my 2950DX for it.
More wishful thinkin. (y)

Good things come too those who have a lot of cash!!!!

I can't tell what pills are in it because the ground strap has them covered!
That was how they built them, the 6000 was the same way.
The Later M4V with the 1446`s in them used a copper strip over the transistors instead of the solid wire.
This was to ensure they had a good ground because of the strip -line style of boards.

Jeff

You can't tell by the pics of the M4V but it has both the copper strap and the heavy rod over the pills-impressive!!!

Another thing that bothers me with this amp, is that it doesn't have a fan! By the sounds of it, it could use one.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.