• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

maco 103c

Better in what way? If all you are interested in are local stations that only use vertical antennas then maybe. If not, then there's no particular advantage.
- 'Doc

Wives tale. "noise" is frequency dependant.

If noise was not a frequency you would never hear it.

Most man made noise is vertically polarized, 18 to 20 db less of noise will be on the receive if the antenna is horizontal.

As far as easier to stack horizontal? depends what frequency, no problem stacking the two meter yagis vertical.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I run my beam horizontal; I wound NEVER run it vertical.
Ask yourself this question: have you ever seen a Ham op running his Yagi vertical?!?
Flatside beams kicks butt!
<Ground gain>
:D

It's pretty common to see them vertical for VHF+ FM.

It's common for VHF/UHF because of the sizes of the antennas. When you get to HF, those sizes are not so practical anymore. It's certainly possible for 10 or 11 meters, just not so easy to do. Which is beside the point of the original question.
- 'Doc

I have a maco 103c horizontal for running ssb. Is it any better running vertical?

It's pretty common to see them vertical for VHF+ FM.

Not on freq's below 10m they don't; he was discussing his Maco 103C after all.

I thought someone would comment on ground gain for Yagis on this thread.

Oh well . . .

Last edited:
Wives tale. "noise" is frequency dependant.

Vertical antennas do see more noise because most man made noise is vertically polarized and( if my memory isn't completely failing) ground wave propagation is mostly vetically polarized. Horizontal ground waves attenuate faster than their vertical counterparts in GW prop..or something like that.

That's why a flat top dipole will receive less noise than a vertical antenna in the same location. Antenna class was a long long time ago :blushing:

Reactions: 2 people

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.