• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Maco 5/8 VS. I-Maxx

overdrive

Apr 3, 2005
Bangor,Me
How much differance is there really in gain and TVI ?
Heard claims the I-Maxx has much better receive and the Maco is less likly to cause TVI.
Would the loss in recieve or the differance in TVI even be noticable?
Using the I-Maxx with no problems...just wondering.

overdrive,
More a matter of how well each antenna was made, rather than electrical characteristics. If there was enough difference to be able to 'hear' it, I'd really be suprised.
- 'Doc

A properly tuned Maco V 5/8 will outperform the
Imax 2000 on recieve and transmit.
You will not see a major difference. I once ran the
Imax 2000 and had trouble with RFI,TVI along with a
high static noise floor. But, if it's working good for you
and your having no problems, i wouldn't worry about it.

I agree with 'Doc. Most people who report better performance from one 5/8 wave antenna to another 5/8 wave antenna are not using any empirical testing, mostly just subjective, wishful thinking.

If you love your Imax 2000's, cool! But, there is
better performing 5/8 antennas out there. Whether you choose
to believe it or not. As for bandwidth, hard to beat the
Imax.

RoadWarrior said:
If you love your Imax 2000's, cool! But, there is better performing 5/8 antennas out there. Whether you choose to believe it or not. As for bandwidth, hard to beat the
Imax.

I agree 100%. Large bandwidth equals LOW Q which means lower efficiency. You can't have it all!

Most antennas are a compromise. I'd rather get the most efficient antenna I could and leave the Imax to those with restrictions.

I like aluminum. :shock: Have run them all over the years and my two favorite verticals were the SigmaIV and the I 10K.
The Imax is great if you want a quick simple install and wide bandwidth but I still prefer my big aluminum I 10K.
I have both up now and the I 10K wins on transmit and recieve over the Imax.The Maco is a great antenna and especially if your on a budget.Just my 2 cents. ;)

I've never seen or heard a differance with a GP kit either on a 99 or 2000 .....I've always personally thought of those as placibo's on those antenna's ....in my case ,wasted money.....bandwidth is one thing and being able to go where no man has gone before and still keeping a fairly decent SWR is another .....I can see were both of those types antenna's can work very nicely for a Ham radio operators frequancies as well.Both those antenna's have fantastic audio qualities !! receive is good /transmit is good . The Maco Alpha V-5/8s is a totally AWESOME !! ground plane CB Antenna !!for the 11 meter band !! This antenna profits from it's ground plane and is needed to perform as it shoulkd unlike the 99/2000s . IM not a Ham so it doesn't need to be tuned for those freq's .....I''d have to say that I personally like the freebands from time to time but that would only be about 10 extra channels above and below channels 1 and 40 .....The Alpha can handle these without a problem (-: ....it's truly a much better receiving antenna as far as my ear is concerned and as far as TVI goes .....hands down a better performer then the other 2 antennas without a doubt in my mind. Nothing wrong with the 99/2000 antennas ....they will work and poerform just fine ,east installation and you can even throw those in a tree without a problem .....but I personally will take a aluminum Alpha 5/8 over either one of those antennas anyday of the week as long as I have the room/space and decent type height that is needed for one of those . Switch Kit

The best way to get rid of TVI is height,good coax and most of all grounds.
I have 48 ground rods on my property and probably 450 ft of #6 & 8 copper ground wire.Also use welding lead from the booms of my beams down to the top of the tower where it connects to the #6 copper.

DuckKilla said:
The best way to get rid of TVI is height,good coax and most of all grounds.
I have 48 ground rods on my property and probably 450 ft of #6 & 8 copper ground wire.Also use welding lead from the booms of my beams down to the top of the tower where it connects to the #6 copper.
Totally HARDCORE !! ...

I have a maco 5/8 and others in my area have imax2000s and I can hear other operator that they cant an it`s only 7ft at feed point. I put up a imax 2000 at same hight on same mount and could not hear worth a crap and the other operator in my area said my signal dropped.I gave my imax away and never looked back. I will keep my maco.

My 2 cents. ;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.