• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

MaCo Brute II

Ambzcc

Dec 18, 2023
I have a question. I am an online reseller and recently my husband brought home a MaCo Brute II for me to sell. I know absolutely nothing about this item, so here’s my questions; 1. What exactly is it? I will attach pictures so that you can see what exactly it is I have. 2. I know with some vintage items it’s not a good idea to clean up or wipe down the item because it could have the potential to ruin it. So should I/can I wipe it down with a damp rag? 3. What is it worth? As of now I'm not sure I will sell it online because it's weight, and the shipping costs will be high. But I want to make sure that when I take it somewhere to sell it that I do not get ripped off. I don't want my ignorance to be taken advantage of.

Thank you so much for any and all help that can be given! I appreciate it very much!

Attachments

• IMG_9578.jpeg
    IMG_9578.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_9579.jpeg
    IMG_9579.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 51

What you have is the equivalent of a 1980 hot rod that's been parked for a few decades. Not immediately useful, but could have some potential.

It is a "linear amplifier", meant to boost the power of a CB radio beyond the legal limit. As such it's technically contraband and Ebay will more than likely kick it off if listed there.

There will be one or two glass vacuum tubes inside. They were discontinued a few years after this amplifier was built, and are now pretty expensive. Any judgement of market value will begin with the condition and number of tubes. They have become sufficiently rare and sought-after that the tubes alone could have a higher market value than the amplifier in working condition. And if you have no way to test the condition of the tube/tubes, this muddies the water.

The 1980 hot rod would necessarily require some updating to hoses, gasket, seals and such.

This amplifier will need to have any factory-original electrolytic capacitors replaced. When they fail from old age, they can fail as a short circuit, overload and damage other components. Just plugging it in to see if it lights up is a risky move all by itself. There are precautions that will limit this risk, but only if you have the tools to bring up the power safely.

This amplifier could be newer than 1980, but not by much. It was designed to deliver as much transmitter power as possible without worrying about how long it will last. Hence the "hot rod" part of the story. In the same way that a hot rod often lands in a ditch, this kind of amplifier is famous for falling victim to abuse, whether intentional or not. Simply operating it with the adjustments set wrong can permanently damage the tube/tubes.

The model number alone doesn't tell us how many tubes it has in it. This manufacturer would change production details for any given model, with no hint on the outside of the cabinet how it is configured.

What you have is mostly potential. I would not recommend powering it up and trying to transmit with it until an expert has determined how safe this will be.

There is a running joke among electronics engineers that this kind of device is powered by smoke.

Until you let it out. And putting the magic smoke back in again is always more costly than letting it out.

Last edited:
Thank you for responding and warning me of the legality of this. Can the tubes be tested with an ohm meter or ohm setting?

So basically I should probably sell the tubes and scrap the rest of the machine? I apologize for my ignorance. One last question, do you know the price range that the tubes go for?

A tube tester is the only way I know to establish whether or not all the "good" has been used up from the tubes it has.

It's all about the type number printed on the tubes. Some are more rare than others.

As with most old technology, price is all about condition and whether or not it can be returned if defective.

A quick fleabay search for the tube's type number, refined for "completed sales only" would reveal a price range.

Someone who stands behind the tube's condition commands a higher price and also assumes liability for a dishonest buyer who either blows them out by misuse or returns bogus parts keeping the good ones.

And a "no returns" price will always be lower.

Selling anything both old and used is a gamble. Both for buyer and seller alike.

A tube tester is the only way I know to establish whether or not all the "good" has been used up from the tubes it has.

It's all about the type number printed on the tubes. Some are more rare than others.

As with most old technology, price is all about condition and whether or not it can be returned if defective.

A quick fleabay search for the tube's type number, refined for "completed sales only" would reveal a price range.

Someone who stands behind the tube's condition commands a higher price and also assumes liability for a dishonest buyer who either blows them out by misuse or returns bogus parts keeping the good ones.

And a "no returns" price will always be lower.

Selling anything both old and used is a gamble. Both for buyer and seller alike.

Thank you so much for all your help. I greatly appreciate it and how quickly you responded, you've been a great help. Again thank you!

Tubes should be reconditioned and I would change all electrolyte capacitors.
Beware, inside is lethal voltage and without experience you can get yourself electrocuted.
Mike

Reactions: USXDriver

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.