• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Maco flat 6 vs Maco 106c

007_man

Apr 29, 2011
Savannah,Tennessee
Question guys. Please excuse my ignorance on this one. But what is the main difference between these 2? Obviously the Flat 6 has the reflector wire. But can someone explain to me what difference is performance wise?

Also, the flat 6, could I put a ground plane on top of that?

Attachments

• IMG_2049.png
    IMG_2049.png
    505.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2050.png
    IMG_2050.png
    440.3 KB · Views: 3

What the hell is a "reflector wire"??? Can't imagine much difference.
Maco is not a bad platform to start with. And with a few mods it can be a good antenna.
However the newer designed antennas have much better gain.

Reactions: murdog
From what I can find the rear reflector does this. “The reflector helps minimize rear reception and interference and increases its forward gain to better receive signals in this direction. In short, an antenna with a reflector will have more gain and work better, but it will have to be aimed in the direction of the towers.”

So if say you live in the Midwest and the skip is really rolling, you might be getting strong stations from the east coast. If your trying to talk to say California that rear reflector will kinda close the door on signals from the east when the antenna is pointed west.

What the hell is a "reflector wire"??? Can't imagine much difference.
Maco is not a bad platform to start with. And with a few mods it can be a good antenna.
However the newer designed antennas have much better gain.
The reflector wire is the quad loop. THAT is the reflector rather than a simple dipole type reflector element. they both do the same thing but some believe the quad loop is superior. It may offer an addition 1 dB or less gain over a dipole type element.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.