• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Maco Y quad, SuperHawk, PDL-2, Jo Gunn smokin II, Maco V quad?

height above ground or a non metal roof, 10 foot masting would be ok if mounted above the peak of the roof. if its a metal roof it will act like ground and destroy takeoff angle. in that case a yagi would be better because of the high take off angle to start with. the higher a yagi is mounted above ground the lower the takeoff angle becomes. the same effect can be had when mounting at the edge of a steep hill.

i used a imax for a long time on cb and hf bands with a tuner, i had a choke and never had any problems with tvi. without a choke i did but that because my coax run was less than 70 feet. if your over 70 foot feedline you can generally get away without a choke because your feed line would be balanced, under 70 is generally unbalanced and can cause problems.

i will say my 4 element yagi slaps the shit out of my old imax setup. its beyond a night and day difference.

i used a imax for a long time on cb and hf bands with a tuner, i had a choke and never had any problems with tvi. without a choke i did but that because my coax run was less than 70 feet. if your over 70 foot feedline you can generally get away without a choke because your feed line would be balanced, under 70 is generally unbalanced and can cause problems. .[/QUOTE]

70 feet what type of magical number is that? Unbalanced transmission line is unbalanced transmission line regardless of how many feet long it measures.

any of the beam antennas you listed will get the job done pretty well there would not be much deference between any of them out of he ones you listed go with the one you can best afford but make sure you get a good rotator one that is actually one size bigger then you need for that antenna nothing worse then having a nice beam with rotator problems. but one antenna you should also look at as an option is the Maco 3 element HV a dual polarity 3 element beam. but also give thought that a really nice Omni directional with a nice well thought out ground grid will give you the same performance as a 2 element beam food for thought. ie. maco V5000 or Mr, coily.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.