• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

MAGNUM 257 HP Review

An excellent question! Depends on where you have the antenna mounted. I have mine mounted on the trunk lip, right side (along the center-line of the trunk). I have not trimmed that whip, and I find the resonance with the full, intact whip (and spring) to be centered at 28.400 or so.

Normallly, and ideally, I would trim the whip for 28.800 to allow full band coverage. This is all very dependant on mounting location. I have a friend who mounted his antenna, uncut, without spring, in the center of his roof, and it resonates at 28.6. Mounting it (through-hole) in the center of the trunk will produce another result.

Mount the antenna in your preferred locatiion, and measure the SWR. That will tell you what next to do.

Hi again,
I procured an nmo34, a springb, and a w640. What length did you trim the whip to, and for what center freq?
Thanks,
JD

An excellent question! Depends on where you have the antenna mounted. I have mine mounted on the trunk lip, right side (along the center-line of the trunk). I have not trimmed that whip, and I find the resonance with the full, intact whip (and spring) to be centered at 28.400 or so.

Normallly, and ideally, I would trim the whip for 28.800 to allow full band coverage. This is all very dependant on mounting location. I have a friend who mounted his antenna, uncut, without spring, in the center of his roof, and it resonates at 28.6. Mounting it (through-hole) in the center of the trunk will produce another result.

Mount the antenna in your preferred locatiion, and measure the SWR. That will tell you what next to do.

Just trying to save a little time - it's chilly out there! My NMO is dead center of the roof of my crewcab F150. Should be a nice ground plane. I still have to order a radio, so maybe it will be a little warmer by the time this project comes to fruition.

Cheers, JD

using a tuner with 257?

Has anyone had a problem using a tuner with these radios? I just tried mine and it does'nt tune and my main radio has no problem with everything the same, seems it just wants to work where the a-99 is at it's best match. Plus its off frq does anybody know what pots you adjust usb & lsb with? Thanks for any help.

Thanks, on that vr layout which is the adjustment for the upper and lower sideband pot? Does it have a separate pot for each one like the rci 2950?
Going by the instructions for the OmegaForce S45 radio,
OMEGAFORCE ALIGNMENT PROCEDURE said:
REFERENCE OSCILLATOR ALIGNMENT:
At any channels, connect Frequency Counter to C252.
USB Frequency: 10.6975Mhz adjust L126 at RX mode
LSB Frequency: 10.6925Mhz adjust L127 at RX mode
AM/FM Frequency: 10.965Mhz adjust L124 at TX mode
The Magnum 257 adjustment transformers are marked differently than the OFS45. I have no idea where to connect your frequency counter. At this point, your on your own! :confused: :sad:

Adjusting RV power levels

When adjusting RV 9,14,16 (SSB, FM,AM power levels) what turn direction (clockwise or counter clockwise) increases power level?

When adjusting the audio level pot in the microphone, what turn direction increases audio level?

Thanks!,
Jack

wow

i just bought a 257hp works great.
i don't see were all the negativity is coming from. i like mine.
i suppose you guys just like to argue. i try to stay out of that.

Reactions: 1 person
can the 257HP do 10 - 11 and 12 meters like the yeticom optima version ?

Yeticom Optima 10/11/12 Meter Export Radio Review

(y)

i'm still waiting to pass judgement on this puppy

question for those in the know...using con3 atm which gives me A-I x 40
does con2 open it up where you're not using bands and can just scan the entire band or ?
2 and 3 are very similar from the description of them as they'll both run the full gambit, but i'm wondering what the differences actually are? thanx

k, i guess i'm in con2...but does that mean that con3 omits 10 meter? giving the frequency range in it's "title" it does 25xxx-29xxx but says nowhere that it omits 28xxx-29xxx

'tis a puzzler :)

Last edited:
can the 257HP do 10 - 11 and 12 meters like the yeticom optima version ?

Yeticom Optima 10/11/12 Meter Export Radio Review

I think you already know the answer to that one too Booty. Of course it can't. Not yet; but Magnum is going to do that as well. At least that is what was talked about the last time I talked to Sam over a year ago. They do plan on turning it in to a 10-11-12m radio.

The Yeticom is priced @ $375; a 257HP can be had for ~$220. The Yeticom may have some steep shipping cost on top of that $375 since they come from New Zealand. I don't know if the price they have posted for it is the same in the US. May well be twice the price of a domestic priced 257HP. To be fair, I have no idea what the going price for the Magnum 10-11-12m radio will be either.

Perhaps dd18 can say more . . .
http://www.survival-systems.com/yeticom/optima.html

Last edited:
magnum 257 hp

i think it is a great radio for the price.
it has clear loud audio.
with the mic. that comes with it. ssb is stable as a rock.
i have it on my 7 digit counter. it stays right on frequency.
it don't move unless you move the rit.
power is around 70 watts pep. i think that is damn good for the size of the radio.
i am more than happy with it.
problems start when you get out your golden screwdriver.

Reactions: 1 person
CON1 : 10 Meter Only (28.000 - 29.699 MHz)
*Default mode
*All functions operate normally

CON2 : 10 Meter & Expanded Mode
*At turn on, the radio defaults to 10 Meter mode.
*For information on Expanded mode operation, see CON3

CON3 : Expanded Mode Only (25.165 - 29.699 MHz)
*In Expanded mode, the frequency range is divided into 10 bands of 40 channels each
*Bands are shown on LCD display by letters (A through J) - Band E is regular 40 channel CB. To switch bands, press the CALL button (do not hold down for 3 seconds).

If you are a ham, I recommend CON2.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.