• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

magnum 257, i am impressed

BIONIC_TEXAN88

Aug 1, 2005
TEXAS PINEYWOODS
I got a 257 on a trade with undertaker. So far I am really impressed with this little rig. It is the older model without the variable power and blue lights. I am liking the rx and the tx, she's a little different to get around in, but I think my favorite part is the 5 memory channels. its nice just hitting a mem. buttons that saves the freq. and mode that you want. Thats a plus over my 2510.

Only thing i did was adjust down the am power all the way down to 2w. she's still doing a touch over 30w pep on am and ssb. good reports all around so far. the nb is actually pretty good cutting my ignition noice out. I have heard some bad reports and good on this radio. I have always wanted to try one out and so far I am not regretting doing it.

If your 2510 doesnt have memory then get the chipswitch you will be floored at its capabilities or if you decide to sell it let me know LOL

BIONIC_TEXAN88 said:
lords said:
BIONIC_TEXAN88, good deal my friend if needed there is a free updated receive kit for that if they didn't update it already Magnum if you need it :)

how do I know if its got it, or where do I go about checking on this?

Send it to me

I like the 257-style radios very much, and have owned three 257s (2 original (sold them to clear the clutter) & 1 blue display), one 357DX and a RoadPro Titan II (the single final version).

Like everything in life, some people love 'em, and some people hate 'em. I think they are the best value in a sideband radio.

I run the 357DX in my little Ranger pick'em up for 10 meters and still have the newer blue display one sitting on shelf (like the changes they made with the radio remembering the channel you were on when you turn it on). You're right, the Noise Blanker/ANL is not bad at all.

If I had the extra $$$, I would buy one of the new mosfet final 257s to see how that works. Glad you like yours.

Wow !! It's really refreshing to here pleased folks about the 257 , in my parts , most folks that got them , got rid of them as quick as they got them. And most were very serious SSB users , the best I ever got out of anyone using one was just that they were OK . I always thought the audio was good enough , but nothing to write home to mom about. But what the hey !! I hear the same damned things about Cobra 200s and I personally think pound for pound and buck for a buck they are bitch'in ass radios for what they are !! for what they cost and what they can do . I just can't see how anybody could go wrong with one of those ?? I guess it might just depend on who goes through it after you buy it ? :) Go figure huh ? Reminds me of many radios I've owned over the years , I hated the Cobra 2000s ....nothing wrong with them or can't be fixed .....I just didn't like them ....maybe it was just the way it looked or something ?? Go figure Remember the Clear Channel AR 3300 ......I couldn't stand that radio !! even though it might have been the best SSB radio I ever owned ? HR-2510 had to go !! :( I think after decades of using radios I finally figured it out for myself , I personally didn't need any of those 10 meter converts to run cb radio !! I found out for the most part , that cb radio on cb radio always sounded the best and always was pretty cut and dry how to use them . Even with SSB , nothing a Grant or 148 couldn't take care of for what I do .......you know what I mean ? Well , one things for sure , AM is AM and SSB is SSB ......and I suppose if you can get the best out of both worlds with any radio , (or so you would think) I'd say you did alright. Cheers to the 257 and those that are more then happy with them........and if Tex likes them .........they got's to be good ! :)

i agree jim,I think who sets them up makes a good difference. Undertaker said 8541 electronics set this one up. So far I like their work.

I went in and adjusted the pot inside the mic to max and just adjust mic gain now on the radio to not be a bit too hot. that seemed to help my modulation just a bit. Got a few radio checks on am loud and clear. Talked to a few stations on ssb when conditions were good and nothing but compliments. I will post pics up soon.

i talked Dx to a guy runnin a mag-257 and i was greatly impressed. sound quality matched up with any Grant XL or RCI 2950 DX or 2970 DX and i run all three of those in seperate vehicles. great audio crystal clear and the guy was using a TUG -9 D104. i think i am going to have to try one out myself. seems like a won't go worng type of radio. :LOL: :shock: :LOL:

magnum 257

I have one a super radio, it gets around 38 watts ssb. I have the mic adjusted 3/4 and the outboard modulation set at 12 for ssb and on am at 2 to 3 o'clock.
Audio is very good, receive also. On the freeband it is super also one contact after another many complement me on the audio.
It works great on ten meters also no problem.
I would recommend it to anybody, and the newer model 50 watts version sounds good.

doctor :shock:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.