• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Magnum 257HP

wildchild455

Mar 19, 2006
I have been out of the loop for a while and am going to be in the market for a new radio. I have a question. Has Magnum discontinued the 257HP and the S45 radios and if not does anyone have any idea when they will be back min stock ?

Yes they are discontinued. Magnum is supposed to be coming out with some new radios this year. Are you looking for something compact like the 257hp, because the optima MK3 is a great radio, just not as many watts, maybe 10-20 less max. And I am sure no one on the other end will notice the difference. I have 2 magnum 257hp radios, bought them right before they were discontinued, about last may. Check the optima mk3 out though, have heard nothing but good things about it, looks kind of like the magnum but appears to be built way better. No that I am bashing the magnum 257hp as it's my main radio and I use the heck out of it daily. But anyway, don't even know who might have any, may want to do some checking around, but I don't think anyone has them. Good luck and god bless.

I've had very good luck with mine, and it was purchased from Sparky's CB Shack a couple of years ago. From what I've heard, the Optima seems to be very popular. These rigs are great for a limited space environment. I use mine in a rental car all the time, and drag along a Wilson 5000 too.

Brett

Thats my problem is space in my pickup I took out my older magnum 257 with dual 1969s in it due to the fact that the lights quit working and its hard to see it at night I guess its going to be a base until I have the lights fixed. I will check into the optima MK3 or just wait to see what Magnum comes out with later.

The mk3 is actually a better built radio if you look at it. It costs 300, but it doesn't need a tune or alignment and crap. Open it up and do the 11 meter conversion and close it up. Some on here use different mic's on them, but as far as I know and to the ones I have spoken with while dx'ing the optima mk3 seems to a good radio. Looks just like the 257 on the face, but from what I have read and been told that's where it ends, the optima is supposed to be a lot better radio as far a build quality goes. I guess I have been lucky so far as my 257hp is working well after almost a year of daily use in the work van, and it gets rattled around quite often. Anyway check the mk3 out if you need a radio ASAP. Gets my vote and I sure there will be others that will say the same.

Reactions: 1 person
The mk3 right duster? Good radio as well correct? Or so I have been reading and also talking to a couple of owners of them.

"Another change is in the way the step function works. if you set the step for 1khz it keeps stepping in 1khz till you do something like depress the PTT (or anything else) when it reverts to the default 5khz step. It does not rotate around a 10khz bandwidth. Frankly I would prefer it to remain in 1khz steps if that's what it was set to. However, that's how it is set. Perhaps that will change on later models. The 10khz and 100khz steps work the same as the 1khz steps and you can flick through the entire frequency range in whatever step you have set."

these still true on mk3?

The MIII looks like the magnum but is an entirely different radio.

The motherboard is a completely new design

We have added a extra frequency tuning step the radio now defaults to 5khz stepping on power up to move around the bands faster of course stepping in 1/5/10/100khz steps can still be changed at any time. also we have redesigned the software so stepping has flow stepping just like the more expensive rigs...no more need of going back into the "function/call" to step up into the next band. like we said no gaps no jumps.

Here is the Yeticom website, these guys had the radios built to their specs.

Yeticom Optima MKIII

Jeff

I have had a few Optima radios here, just this past week got an MKIII and love it. It's amazing how a small chassis radio can just do it all so well. Love it

The front face says 10-12m AM/FM/SSB Ham Transceiver, I looked inside, with the SMT board if something is changed I don't see it. I thought I read somewhere that they changed the cpu for the front display or something like that. Works and looks the same otherwise as the MKII. Dave at Yeticom probably would be up on whats different.

I do that little white dot thing so I can see where the knobs are at a glance in case it's not real bright. 60 yr old eyes aren't what they use to be

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.