• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Magnum OmegaForce S-45 HP Review

90% of the stuff I review I do buy out of my own pocket and most cases I don't review a new radio until I've sold the last one to pay for it. So that's why I usually only post 1 or 2 a month as it takes me a little time to sell them.

I have had actual dealers and manufacturers send me stuff to review and I always warn them that I will write what I want about the product. In return for sending me the product I give them a link on the page. I do like to be as unbiased as possible but at the same time if I get the chance to review something new that people really want to know about I don't turn down that opportunity.

Even if people think my review would be biased by receiving a product directly from the manufactuer I still believe that all of the pictures and information that I can provide ABOUT the product is still valuable to the reader.

So like anything take it with a grain of salt :) The key as someone running a website is not to make wild claims about products or shameless promote something without taking the time to explain the product properly.

I think Rob's review on the new high powered Omegaforce sounds very reasonable and in line with what I've experienced with these radios in general although I've yet to use a radio with the RFX75. In fact I have two DeltaForces on my table right now :)

As for Amateur equipment I have my fair share but almost all of it has been covered very well in forums, the web, and eham by people who have much more technical knowledge than myself. :) I also try to avoid mixing up the two realms as many hams look down negatively upon my reviews of export radios. While I won't get into the politics of it I feel that if used responsibiliy on 11 meters an export causes no more problems than a Cobra 29 with a super modulation kit and a echo mike. Obviously I do not promote CBer's using the 10 meter bands and will take the side of hams on that issue every day of the week. I know many hams who operate high end HF radios with mods on 11 meters so I think the issue can be argued many ways, but the answer to it all is always responsible operating by the individual.

Reactions: 1 person
When I first called Sam Lewis by phone, it was an inquiry to buy this radio. I lked my first OmegaForce so much, that the idea of having nearly twice the swing power as my first radio caught my immediate attention. When I told him that I review radios, he immediately suggested sending one out to me. We then had a thirty minute conversation, in which he started this interview by making it clear to me that he expected my complete honesty for this review. I agreed.

If I were to have received a Magnum S-9 - I'm sure that I would like it too. I would have to compare it to the Galaxy radios - and the OmegaForce. The OmegaForce just has far more usable features for my needs for an affordable 10 and 11 meter radio than even the S-9 does. But I know that the S-9 also has the TopGun modulator/compressor and will swing from one watt up to 50 watts. These features alone makes them superior to most radios on the market today.

I don't know if one can hear a smile over a telephone, but when I told Sam that I still have one of the few unmolested Ranger AR-3500's - there was a pause brioken by a resounding "really"? I believe that Sam's concept of building radios - perhaps back then and now - is to stay more than one jump ahead of the competition.

I here where your coming from IMD 262 , as well as the other guy saying what does it have to do with this thread , well I think it has alot to do with this thread . Opinions are like assholes , we all have one.

I don't have a web site to play Mr CB Radio / Export reviewer . (nor would I want to) That's what he does it would seem , he has the right to do as he feels fit as all the rest of us do. The same goes for Rob

What
credentials do they have ? About as much as you and me do IMD 262 ! maybe more or maybe less ? I don't know and I don't care. It's what floats there boats and makes them feel good. So be it !

IM no tech , but I got 25 years experiance and you know what that adds up to ? Not much ! just my personal opinion like everybody else. You can take it or leave it. But you can be nice and cover it up 262 , but I don't think you should have. Your question was more then fair.

The bottom line for me is that IM not real up on 10 meter radios , IM a cb'er and I like to run those over anything else , yes I understand that the pickings are slim nowadays for AM/SSB cb radios and I know there are plenty of decent exports out there , without a doubt in my mind.

as well as having more power in a radio , I understand that as well. I still use amplifiers because I can. IM just a simple minded cb'er , no more or no less. I don't need a export radio to do what I do , never did and I never will. I break the law my way. Why I would need a 500.00 dollar radio on a 5 dollar frequancy is beyon me.

Life is short and man does what he feels fit to structure is life around. His dimes and his times. It's all good with me and what it comes down to is that it's really none of my freaking business to begin with about what somebody else is doing. I can take it or leave it.

Chris Holland = 909-390-5056 tell'um Chris from Charlies sent you.

Last edited:
no disrespect rob , but i gotta ask , whats up with the fasination with swinging from 1 watt to 50 or 60 or 80 watts ? i try to set my stuff up to deadkey %25 of what it will cleanly swing . doesnt keying 1 watt and swinging so much sound over modulated and distorted to you ?

no disrespect rob , but i gotta ask , whats up with the fascination with swinging from 1 watt to 50 or 60 or 80 watts ? i try to set my stuff up to dead key %25 of what it will cleanly swing . doesn't keying 1 watt and swinging so much sound over modulated and distorted to you ?

Two words: "dynamic range".
Frequency response and dynamic range aren't the same thing - but they are directly related to each other.
There is much less audio compression/squeezing when more dynamic range is available. Subtle sounds become nore pronounced and details are realized as the dynamic range increases. Few radios have it. When the NPC mod was being discussed; one of the key factors with it was that it would create a more dynamic range of sound. So when the compression is applied to the mic's audio circuit before being amplified by the radio with a wider dynamic range than most other radios (performed by the modulator) - the result is a larger, clearer audio that others can appreciate hearing. Better audio and swing = better intelligibility by those who hear you. Simple - right?

I am no tech either; but I do know some about audio. I leaned recording arts in David Gibson's San Francisco recording studio. I learned to run my own modest but capable recording studio from that learning process. Radios aren't capable of making a full fidelity sound with a full dynamic range that the human ear can take in - and many studio so equipped can emulate. But when a radio comes along that can come a whole lot closer to a better audio quality - I can and do take special notice. It isn't so much a fascination as much as it is recognizing great audio for a whole lot less than $500 - as SK alluded to.

I did say the stock mic can be adjusted internally for maximum output. I will show you how this is accomplished. Here is a picture of this powered condenser mic. Notice the two arrows to the right and left of the "MAGNUM" here? Pushing either arrow on either side will make the radio go up or down a channel. You wouldn't have known that function is there - unless you read the manual. Most mics that have this up/down feature have two easily seen buttons on them - like the RCI radios do.

PICT0217.jpg

Two Phillip screws hold the halves of the mic together. They will both come off in a jiffy. Or even half of a jiffy. The large hole on the back of this circuit board -near the center- is the adjustment hole for you jewelers screwdriver or nylon screwdriver. You will need a flatblade screwdriver for the adjustment.

PICT0212.jpg

This jewelers screwdriver points to the pot that needs to be adjusted all of the way up. You don't have to pull the board away from the mic as I did. I just did it to show the parts. If in doubt as to which direction is all of the way up; plug it in and key the mic and turn it until it gets loudest. Be sure to turn it all of the way up! Use the talkback feature on the radio to monitor the volume change upward. Reassemble the mic and pop the two screws back in.
Done!

PICT0211.jpg

For a stock factory mic, this isn't a tosser that will end up in the box with the rest of the stock Cobra mics. It is really quite clear and has a very wide frequency respone. It also has a very hot output. You can get the talkback volume pretty high with this mic before it feeds back. On-air reports have told me - this mic is no wimp!

Well here is my 2-cents. First i wanna thank Rob for taking his time to do this project. 2nd i have been around the circus since the early 70's. As one member quoted i myself too is just a cb'er who by choice starting driving a semi truck back in '77. I love to hear the quality sound of modulation from a well tuned radio. I myself used to be a pro musician on the west coast. When on stage you want a perfect sound coming out of your guitar amp. this also applies to the cb/export-non export radio. I am not going to waste my time arguing about Ham oper. vs. Cb'ers this has been going on since the radio was first built. I myself run the lower 40 channels below Ch.1 That is my choice. I like what Rob has stated about this new radio. And he has brought to my mind on how the quality of the modulation of this unit sounds. Rob i thank you again my friend for doing this project and to share the outcome of this fine radio. With that in mind i will call Chris Holland and inquire about the purchase and having him tune this new radio.

Two words: "dynamic range".
Frequency response and dynamic range aren't the same thing - but they are directly related to each other.
There is much less audio compression/squeezing when more dynamic range is available. Subtle sounds become nore pronounced and details are realized as the dynamic range increases. Few radios have it. When the NPC mod was being discussed; one of the key factors with it was that it would create a more dynamic range of sound. So when the compression is applied to the mic's audio circuit before being amplified by the radio with a wider dynamic range than most other radios (performed by the modulator) - the result is a larger, clearer audio that others can appreciate hearing. Better audio and swing = better intelligibility by those who hear you. Simple - right?

I am no tech either; but I do know some about audio. I leaned recording arts in David Gibson's San Francisco recording studio. I learned to run my own modest but capable recording studio from that learning process. Radios aren't capable of making a full fidelity sound with a full dynamic range that the human ear can take in - and many studio so equipped can emulate. But when a radio comes along that can come a whole lot closer to a better audio quality - I can and do take special notice. It isn't so much a fascination as much as it is recognizing great audio for a whole lot less than $500 - as SK alluded to.

maybe its sematics , but i wouldnt consider frequency response and dynamic range directly related . dynamic range and signal to noise ratio are closely related because dynamic range is the is basically a components ability to produce a signal above its noise floor , thats not exact , but you cant have low s/n ratio and high dynamic range . anyhow , since all that processing is done befor the rf amplifying stage and a 50 or 60 or 80 to 1 power ratio far exceeds the 4 to one modulated power to deadkey ratio for optimum modulation , how does that signal sound clean ? i also fail to see why such such compression and expansion technology is necessary of even benefical considering the dynamic range of a talking human voice doesnt vary greatly , although different folks voices can vary greatly is how loud they are .

not trying to argue , just trying to understand . ;)

maybe its semantics , but i wouldn't consider frequency response and dynamic range directly related . dynamic range and signal to noise ratio are closely related because dynamic range is the is basically a components ability to produce a signal above its noise floor , thats not exact , but you cant have low s/n ratio and high dynamic range . anyhow , since all that processing is done before the RF amplifying stage and a 50 or 60 or 80 to 1 power ratio far exceeds the 4 to one modulated power to deadkey ratio for optimum modulation , how does that signal sound clean ? i also fail to see why such such compression and expansion technology is necessary of even beneficial considering the dynamic range of a talking human voice doesn't vary greatly , although different folks voices can vary greatly is how loud they are .

not trying to argue , just trying to understand . ;)
Understood.

Dynamic range and frequency response is best illustrated with consumer audio products versus professional audio products. If one has a dynamic cardioid mic with a db range of 90 and a studio mic used for a kick drum that can handle over 130 dB's; the difference is that the 90 do mic will handle its frequency response in a narrower bandwidth -ER- dynamic range that the mic that is capable of a similar frequency response at a 130 dB's. The 130 db mic will have less audio compression/more space to use the same frequency response. It will be far more sensitive to changes within its range,

As far as this radio's components are concerned - to have a TG compressor first then followed by expansion through the TG modulator is a similar process that Dolby Systems used to eliminate tape hiss for years. This is what they did to lower the noise floor further back in the day before digital recording came along - and it worked.

This radio is anything but over-modulated or distorted - quite the opposite is true. In fact, it is squeaky clean and has a better dynamic range for frequency response to work in. Even though radios aren't built with frequency response in mind (generally limited between 300hz to 3,000hz); the usable range has been made clearer by the added dynamic range.

It's all great in da hood!

microphones and speakers work in similar but reverse ways . i guess im failing to understand what youre saying because i really feel mics and RF amps work in different ways .

Had a pretty cool thing happen today...

Since skip began rolling in at/about 12:30 PST, I thought I would flip the dial over to 10 meters USB and see if the band was active. It was. I managed to wrangle a terse and very brief contact with Brazil with the OmegaForce HP radio and a $100 IMAX 2000 antenna on 28.475Mhz/USB!

Needless to say; I was very pleased...
;-]

Had a pretty cool thing happen today...

Since skip began rolling in at/about 12:30 PST, I thought I would flip the dial over to 10 meters USB and see if the band was active. It was. I managed to wrangle a terse and very brief contact with Brazil with the OmegaForce HP radio and a $100 IMAX 2000 antenna on 28.475Mhz/USB!

Needless to say; I was very pleased...
;-]

So if I talked to Australia (much farther than Brazil) with 20 watts from an old non dx 2950 with a 50 dollar A99, does that mean the 2950 is a better radio than the Omega?

Understood.

This radio is anything but over-modulated or distorted - quite the opposite is true. In fact, it is squeaky clean

Seriously, if you don't understand that 1 watt swinging 50 or 60 is overmodulated, it is very hard to take anything you say seriously. "Squeaky Clean" ??!! I wonder how people trying to use spectrum near you when you are operating that way feel about your "clean" signal.

And a licensed Ham, no less. :headbang

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.