• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Magnum S-9 Mic Gain setup

Shady Deal

Jan 5, 2006
Wiltshire England
Hello All,
I am a (England) newbie to the CB world and am confused about the above setup. I will be getting my "Expanded" S-9 in a couple of days and wonder if someone can help.

At the moment I will be using it on the UK FM band but hope to pick up enough knowledge to move onto SSB.

I have downloaded the manual and am puzzled how it says to set the Mic gain up? The manual says:- "Mic gain. Increases or decreases the energy developed in the microphone
amplifier circuit. The gain increases as the control is rotated is
clockwise. For optimum setting, press the PTT on the microphone and speak
in a constant tone into the microphone. A good test tone is to say the word
"four" in a long drawn out tone. While speaking, rotate the mic gain
control clockwise until the meter needle reaaches maximum deflection. Next
rotate the control counter clockwise approx 1/16th inch. The transmitter
will now be putting out its maximum rated power."

I thought when you PTT the meter would show your outgoing RF Power and not your mic gain??

I e-mailed RFLimited and they said to set the mike gain full on as the above instructions applied to SSB only??

I have since also downloaded the S-6 manual which is not a SSB radio and this gives the same instructions for mic gain so I am now lost!!

Can anyone confirm how I should adjust the Mic gain on the S-9 radio for FM.

Thanks for your time!

Shady.
Dont worry about it, turn the mic gain up all the way on FM people will soon tell you if your over modulating on FM. Do the same on side band but look at the meter, it should not move untill you speak, if it does it's picking up background noise and may need turning down at touch.

Shady, I have two S9's, one as a Base Station, and one in the mobile, and they both have the best results with the mic gain set between 1 and 3 o'clock.

Try setting yours there for a good start point, then adjust, based on reports from others.

You will really enjoy the S9!

Not much FM action on this side of the pond. I do look for it though. Have made 2 FM contacts including one to a fellow in Manchester on 26.515FM If you want to try a contact on FM or any other mode, let me know and I will give a listen.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.