• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Magnum S380

NorthStar

Administrator
Mar 21, 2005
Anyone notice the output on latest ones is down to 67-70 watts Pep? First batch were 80+ easily. Something changed just not sure what.

I know what ya mean there Sleepwalker, I get so tired of people telling me how loud, clean, and clear my Delta Force sounds.

Say what you want, we have RF Limited to thank for pushing Galaxy and Connex to finally come out with new radio's.

" Well it is good to know that RF limited has finally perfected 60 year old technology --- generating AM. "

Just like Stryker right? Or don't those talk 60 year old AM?

I have a Magnum s-3, 40 watt model, that I run barefoot with a 636L. Its the radio that I use in other people's cars and lay on the front passenger seat or whatever. When talking I have received unsolicited audio reports like "nice sounding radio, what is it?" and "are you barefoot?" Once I got a "sounds perfect." Of course, tuning, antenna, and personal preference are all a part of it, but this particular radio is not the piece of junk that some believe all magnums are. I still like my galaxy 48t better though...

Justin, if Magnum had been a flop and they didn't sell hardly any radio's you never would have built your Stryker. Magnum excited the market with a new line of radio's, then other makers had to up-date their aging radio's as well to compete. The fact that Magnum sells alot of radio's and you don't like them is why we have the option to buy a Stryker today. Thats my whole point, and thats your biggest problem, your the only Tech that knows anything & you always talk down to people. Your same old arrogant attitude gets old I guess. Rock on Magnum owners.

I had a plastic cased Cobra 19 many years ago pushing a Palomar TX150 using a 575 M6 off a Wilson 1000 roof mount ......Remarkable the complements I got off that system , when they would ask I would proudly tell them the truth .. "It's just my little back pocket Cobra 19 !!" It worked good enough for me at the time .......The bottom line here is .......who gives a rats a$$ !!! Opinions are like a$$holes ,everybody and there brother has one. You know how it goes Butch !! .......different strokes for different folks and there's a Goddamned know-it all in every bunch !! and that ain't no pun at you Justin , it's life in a nut shell. Peace

Man I'm bad...

I have to say I love my S9. I'm waiting for the new 175 watt S9 to come out.

I know nothing about Stryker radios except what I've heard. I've actually heard nothing bad about them either so I might give one of those a try. The only thing I don't like about them is the name...not trying to piss anyone off...but it sounds kinda corny. Everytime I hear it I think of that Airplane movie...surely you must be kiddin'...no I'm not and don't call me Shirley.

But none the less...I'll probably hook up on one. It is hard to beat someone giving you compliments on your radio all day long. And people asking if you can get them one and set it up just like yours. Magnum must be doing something right...I know they did with mine.

heres the truth about magnums as i see it just mho,
they took a basic uniden design from our exports the cobra 148gtldx and f_ucked it up totally,

the reciever is absolute garbage nomatter what you guys think its shit compared to a 20 years old cobra on which it is loosely based,

its very noisy and channel rejection is garbage, way too much gain or low Q circuits somewhere in the reciever and you will never find anybody here that will say the rx is even close to how it should be because they wont hear ya when anyone close is talking unless they put their old cobra back inline,

next they reworked the vco side of things and screwed that up too, its as loose as a lot lizzards panties even the good ones have a slight grainy warble to them on ssb which is totally absent on the radio it is based on just like the ss3900 and all the galaxy clones i ever used or aligned,

then theres the stupid lighting situation, every single magnaforce over here blows lamps for fun,

frequency stability is piss poor compared to the old cobra,

the power claims they make are scandalous, yes they will do 40w fm but give them a sniff of poor vswr and something blows,

well over half the magnums here have had finals or am reg/mod replaced because people run them at what it says on the box and the radio dont like it at all,

who had the wonderfull idea of bodging bits of wire tin plate and solder on the traces instead of making the board suitable for the current it has to pass?,

the controls feel cheap once they have some mileage on them, the general fit and finish is tacky when compared to the older radio,

the tx audio sounds woolly on the mk1 the omegaforce and the s9, the only decent sounding delta i heared was a mk2, now that has great fm audio possibly the best sounding fm cb i ever heared but ssb still sucks if you know what to listen for in tx audio,

topgun modulator sounds like you have sand in your throat,

i cannot comment on the stryker as they are not marketed over here so i have never seen one, if i had one i would tell it how i see it good or bad regardless of who i upset i have no agenda i can assure you,

if justin and the others cannot improve on how the magnums perform then somebody should confiscate his soldering iron and send me his test gear,

and if you think a deltaforce is even a decent reciever then you have never had a decent cb,

i dont set out to piss people off on here or to appear condescending to others i like this forum a lot but i get tired of people talking shit about crappy radios like the deltaforces its just my opinion like youres is your opinion and only some of us are right,

what justin says makes perfect sense to me most of the time, he aint no average cb dummy or maybe i am so i think hes smart, i will be back to read the barrage of insults asap have a nice day :LOL:

I have owned 2 S9s, an S3 and multiple 257s. I have not been happy with any of them. Their quality is terrible out of the box. They have been using the worst pots you could find available. I dare anyone to find a lower quality pot than what is used on the Magnum radios. RX is subpar to say the least. They did improve X somewhat on the S series radios but of the two I have owned and 3 or 4 my buddies have owned they are a worse reciever than my 95T. Their advertising gimmic of "no tune up or alignment needed" is pure bull also. They are a low end radio with a high end price tag attached

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.