• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Magnum S680 List of Adjustment Pots Needed

Wire Weasel

Senior Moment
Dec 13, 2008
Recently picked up an S680. CB Tricks has everything EXCEPT Service Manual. Rig came from a local and he says he thinks he remembers de-tuning the max power p.e.p. a bit for his purposes but can't remember which adjustment it was. Rig is doing just under 60w p.e.p. but should be capable of hitting around 80. - I have the pots for adj. Hi & Low on the dead key, those are VR13 & 16. Supposedly there is a separate adjustment for max p.e.p. but I do not know that for sure. Does anyone know which one that would be, and can someone link to a List of ALL adjustments on this radio?

Please don't bother referencing schematic at cbtricks. I'm not an engineer and can't decipher what adjustment does what from a schematic. Looking for a spelled-out list ;)

Thanks for any help

Golden screwdriver alert! Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Is 20 watts PEP going to make much difference? The deadkey swing ratio on AM is more important and should be 4:1. If you get 80 watts on peak, then deadkey should be 20 watts. At 60w, 15 watts deadkey. etc.

FACT: You have to increase power 4 times to get another signal strength on the other end. 80 to 60 watts won't be noticed. It will take another 180 watts to get real gain from a 20 watt difference.

The peak power should come from balancing the high/low pots relevant to the RF power knob setting on the front of the radio for best ratio. Increasing voltage at the finals will only cause more heat and shorten the life of the finals. Leave those adjustments alone and have fun with your radio!

Last edited:
Reactions: rabbiporkchop
WW:
If it looks like this chassis in the picture; then the tuning coils will be on the left/rear corner of the radio within the red circle:

View attachment 20761
I know you are knowledgeable on radio repairs and tunings but those pots look more like Rx and Tx frequency alignment rather than TX power adjustments. Also someone with minimal experience is likely to screw it all up.

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
I am new to radio troubleshooting, repair, and alignment (last six years). But that doesn't mean that I haven't learned a few things. If you look at the picture above, you will note that the numbers of the coils are L40, 42, 43, and 44 respectively. This is the typical locations for TX alignment of many radios even tho the numbers may be different. You will also note their proximity to the location of the IC responsible for output mixing.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.