• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Magnum S680 Nitro Sale or Trade, Excellent !!

Wire Weasel

Senior Moment
Dec 13, 2008
Hi gang, A couple of months ago I was in between good radios for the base and was able to pick up this Magnum S680 with Red Nitro knobs from a local tech. Is in excellent condition, over 9 of 10 on looks and 10/10 operationally. Everything works as should with zero problems. The friend is a darn good tech and researched the specs and tuned it up to max specs on Power Output and as I discussed on a different thread here. He had de-tuned it a little bit to work better with a particular amp he was using - and he located his spec notes for me and told me how to put it back to Max, which I did. Factory specs state that you can max the dead key on these to 16-17 watts so that is where it is on the Variable. Low is set to about 1 1/4 watts. - With the dead key set to at least around 6 watts AND with the Top Gun Modulator ON, it will hit right at 80 watts on a whistle. TGM OFF, it hits around 70. Normal voice peaks on talking from any settings is 40-50 watts. Note: Cannot use TGM with any kind of power mic .... is too much audio and will be distorted. So ~ Use with power mic & TGM OFF or you may use TGM with a non-amplified mic. / These Medium-High power Mosfet rigs will get warm relatively quickly as normal so however you use this radio be prepared to ADD some kind of FAN arrangement to blow across the heat sink. Dual 4 Pin Cobra Mic Jacks, front and Right Hand side.

High Freq is 29.205 so will cover the 10 Meter AM area which is 29.100-29.200. Lowest is 26.045

Red Nitro knobs ..... eh I don't care about them, they are just there. Completely Variable down to VERY Dim which actually looks pretty cool in the dark. Adjusts up to Full which you can see in the pic. Six Digit Freq. Counter - you can turn OFF via the NB Switch. Little Factory switch on the rear is SWR Warning Function and that works. When ON, if you have high SWR, the Main Meter Lights will Flash on and off.

Radio looks great with just a few typical hairline scratches around the front chrome bezel and that's all. Radio came to me by itself with nothing extra so that's all you get, just radio. Uses standard Cobra style power cord and you'll need to use the heavier-duty 14gauge wire type & say a 10amp fuse.1m1.jpg1m2.jpg1m3.jpg1m4.jpg

Feel free to ask any questions and I'll try my best to assist. I understand these radios are rare and sought for.

I paid $275 cash for this radio and will sell for $250 + $20 for Priority Ship, Insured for full amount. PayPal Gift please is fine or mail Postal Money Order. - I have been on here for over 5 years and have executed numerous no-problem trades.

Selling/trading as I miss SSB which I prefer to have on all my radios. So will Trade for a Medium Power Export Sidebander like a Galaxy 99V or V2. Will consider others. No RCI 2950's. No 25 year or older radios. What do you have? You might have to put a little cash with you rig depending. Be prepared to show some good up close pics of your radio and describe in full. No Problem Radios !! Your radio needs to be working 100% as should just like this one is. You rig is same as cash so be prepared to send me yours first so I can check it out to see that it is working as you described. Thanks !!

Detail left out: Be advised, on these Magnum higher-power Mosfet rigs the Dead Key Power starts out lower when cold - these climbs a bit as you talk a little - So you can set it wherever when you first turn the radio on, but you need to keep an eye on the power as the radio warms up and turn it back down if it exceeds where you want it to be. - Necessary for using to drive a Low Drive Amp as to not accidentally over drive the amp ;)

I'd like to offer a couple of items for swap myself. But shouldn't there be a coin flip to choose who sends who what first? I jest of course, but this is the concern I've got over trading items. Why one's word/guarantee is better than another's is quite the quandary. It's probably why I am going to offer my items for sale and then purchase what I would like to get in trade. Just doesn't seem fair and is basically impossible for two people to actually agree to send the equipment in question simultaneously to each other. I'm as honest as the next guy. Why should I be the one who has to send my item first? And vice a versa. Once again I'm just curious about how this works and it just seems like It's not actually a very fair way to do business. At least when it comes to Trading. I guess the best thing to do is exactly what I mentioned. Just sell it then take that cash and buy what you wanted in swap. At least if you buy something via eBay you are covered. All that stuff about sold as is no guarantees. But it does work 100%. is a load of baloney. I know for fact if I purchase something advertised in whatever condition and I don't like it eBay will stand by me as the buyer and the seller will get it back. Not that I have ever done that. Nor will I ever. It's also the reason I have never sold a single item on eBay and never will. No matter what my description is of the item being sold if the person who buys it is either dishonest or for whatever reason doesn't like it whether he or she is a parts swapper he or not. They're still going to get their money back and I am going to get bent over quicker than a $10 crack hoe. No disrespect to you Big Kahuna. I just thought that this would be the form in which I could address that idea and or policy of who gets to get who's equipment first. Best of luck to you my friend. It looks like a very nice radio. Especially if you like Disco and the types of places they play that music in. Lots of bright colorful flashing lights. I will not have any issues listing items here and when I'm ready that's exactly what I'll do. I guess in the end it comes down to whether you can trust the description of the item being sold and the Integrity of the person selling it. Either way it seems like a real bitch! 73 my friend and good luck.

Hello Sonar! I do not mind your questioning at all. I had thought that this was a pretty normal thing by now but I guess everything is new to a person for their first time around.

1) My view was/is that, "your trade is same as cash" And that means if you were buying for cash - you would certainly expect to have to send the payment first. Just like eBay or at the grocery store ..... so why should a Trade be any different? - And I do have the radio offered sale as well - and I as a seller, would never send a valuable item out first without having received payment first.

2) I have been on here a long time, executed many sales and buys - so there is an expectation of trust and there are peeps here that know and could vouch for me. Being a reasonable person myself, I would not have jumped on here and tried to sell anything of value as a newbie with zero site trust yet established.

Reactions: Sonar
Hello Sonar! I do not mind your questioning at all. I had thought that this was a pretty normal thing by now but I guess everything is new to a person for their first time around.

1) My view was/is that, "your trade is same as cash" And that means if you were buying for cash - you would certainly expect to have to send the payment first. Just like eBay or at the grocery store ..... so why should a Trade be any different? - And I do have the radio offered sale as well - and I as a seller, would never send a valuable item out first without having received payment first.

2) I have been on here a long time, executed many sales and buys - so there is an expectation of trust and there are peeps here that know and could vouch for me. Being a reasonable person myself, I would not have jumped on here and tried to sell anything of value as a newbie with zero site trust yet established.
I never meant to suggest that one shouldn't trust you. On the contrary if I were interested I would have absolutely no problem going through with the trade exactly as you wanted to. I was just trying to make a point. I'm sure you do understand how many people have been stiffed by these types of swaps or sales for that matter. I totally get the idea that if somebody wants to purchase something on this phone they're obviously going to have to go through PayPal gift or send the money order to The seller. A large majority of people selling things on this form are known and trusted members. And that's a good thing. It's the people that are out there just to rip someone off, and we've seen so many of those types post for sale items right on this forum. They usually get called out immediately. It's tough trying to buy items the way one needs to when selling them here. Like I said most of the trusted sellers are already known period and a con artist can usually be seen from miles away. I am not familiar with these radios. I did do a little research because it actually looks like a nice rig. It's a shame it's only an AM radio. I'm sure you'll sell it and the buyer will enjoy it for years. Good luck my friend. 73

Reactions: Wire Weasel

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.