• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

magnum S9 radio VS Ranger RCI 2950

jvergot

Jan 10, 2010
I'm torn between the two radios i need some expert help from you folks.Of the two radios which do you think is the best also will they work with my fat boy 4 pill 1446 model amp base amp i will be using the radio as a base. Please help.JVergot AKA HEADJAMMER.

The Magnum has echo, variable talkback, and will be a monster on AM and respectable on SSB. Since your on a base with a stable temperature drift will be held to a minimum. The magnum has a big round S meter as well.

On SSB and over all build quality 2950DX wins hands down. Being processor controlled it will be very stable, scans, has memory, and lets you talk offset freqs. the display is liquid crystal with a bar graph read out.

As much as I love the S9 the 2950 is the better radio. In the end though you will have to decide what features and look you prefer. Both will drive your Fatboy just fine.

Reactions: 2 people
It all depends on what you want. If it's a 20 plus year old design that has only been updated when absolutely needed due to lack of parts availability...go with the S9. It will work and even in some cases work well, but comparing it to a new 2950dx.... they are different animals. If you want something stable that has had several design updates and that will provide trouble 2950dx.

go with the rci2950dx...the s9 is good try no home run...they are horrible on ssb and adjacent freq{bleed over}and have very high surface noise...and if you have a window open the drift around...you will get crouple tunnel from it...worse than my siltronixs...hehe 73 de JW

It all depends on what you want. If it's a 20 plus year old design that has only been updated when absolutely needed due to lack of parts availability...go with the S9. It will work and even in some cases work well, but comparing it to a new 2950dx.... they are different animals. If you want something stable that has had several design updates and that will provide trouble 2950dx.

I think the S series radio's had a 14-15 year run before they were discontinued. I guess that makes a Galaxy 99 something from the stone age. lol

Reactions: 1 person
First off, with the S9, what finals does it have n it ?...if its the one with 1969 finals, and the 40 watt version, Id run this jewel...

But what radio is the 2950dx, is this one of the new ones ?...

go with the rci2950dx...the s9 is good try no home run...they are horrible on ssb and adjacent freq{bleed over}and have very high surface noise...and if you have a window open the drift around...you will get crouple tunnel from it...worse than my siltronixs...hehe 73 de JW

I had a Magnum S9 and it was the biggest POS i ever owned as far as a SSB rig...... Never again....

The first batch of S9 radios that were built was the good ones, they had the 1969 finals in them...I know the one I bought it didnt have any drift...
I ran mine in the truck for a couple years and then on the base for awhile, never had any drifting problems out of it...

But the Mosfet S9 radios, I heard guys talk about it been bad to drift, Ive got a local here who is a bout 30 miles North of me, and he runs the S9-175w radio, I dont no how much he uses it on SSB, but it sure sounds good running with his 21 Mosfet amp he runs with it..

The S9 I ran, it was the best talking radio think Id ever seen, and drove my amps really well also...

I know the RCI line of radios are solid on SSB talking...if your into talking on SSB mostly, Id go with the RCI radio...or just keep both radios and switch them out from time to time...

I had a Magnum S9 and it was the biggest POS i ever owned as far as a SSB rig...... Never again....

I had an old school S9 (dual 1969) done up by Bob's cb in PA, probably the best shop for a Magnum radio tune. The radio was outstanding. Once warmed up this one stayed on frequency. Some shops do clarifier mods that turn them into sailboats. Even a 2950 will act a tad funny in a winter weather climate if you unlock the clarifier. Never understood that with a 2950, no need for a clarifier unlock on them. I wish RCI could get rid of that white noise on a quiet channel.

...and have very high surface noise...

really? generally, the design of the PLL controlled magnums provides a relatively quiet receive. it's the floating ground, CPU controlled magnums that have high levels of white noise. a rather coherent conversation with sam lewis right after the introduction of the omega force was the 1st time i heard that. chris holland, rick jordan & bob confirmed that that is pretty much correct.

Want to be Loud on AM S9 Want a great all around Radio that can go on 10 meter SSB and talk to other ham operat(y)ors without being asked what Export CB radio you are useing go for the 2950..... The 2950 will do a nice job on am also. If you are going SSB set the Low side to 2 watts get a nice Class AB amp like Texas Star for power or a small amp Like the RM KL203 And shoot SSB skip sounding Gooood.

I have owned a few radios The Pres. Jackson, Uniden Washington. Galaxy Saturn, Cobra 29, Cobra 29 ltd Black chrome. Uniden PC66XL. Cobra 29LX Uniden Pro 510 and the Omegaforce S45HP and the RCI 2950DX and maby a few others. The Ranger 2950 Has a little bit of magic built into every one made. I can't explain this but it is true. I will probally allways own one, and will buy a new toy and keep it for awhile and sell it and go back to the Magical 2950. Of the 2 I owned both were just checked for being on frequency and low power set to 2 watts both by R&R del. no adjustments needed. best Radios I have ever Had. Most people think the just don't have the chrome and enough bells and whistels. I love them the way they are.

Grogan I will have to agree. I always end up going back to the 2950 style also. I LOVE em. Run a 14 yr old 2970 w 636 and a sirio p5000 in the mobile...AWESOME. Run a dx2527(galaxy turbo w out 100 watts) in the house.....love it. Can't wait to get my hands on a new 2950dx (y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.