• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

magnum S9 radio VS Ranger RCI 2950

really? generally, the design of the PLL controlled magnums provides a relatively quiet receive. it's the floating ground, CPU controlled magnums that have high levels of white noise. a rather coherent conversation with sam lewis right after the introduction of the omega force was the 1st time i heard that. chris holland, rick jordan & bob confirmed that that is pretty much correct.

Heck I thought everyone knew about this white noise issue.

Sparkys CB Shack Forum • View topic - white noise fix on 29xx series radios

RCI-2950DX Review

http://www.worldwidedx.com/export-radios/42802-white-noise-fix-rci-29xx-radios-2.html

RCI-2950dx

Radio Reviews - All about Hobby Radio

I came across an unusual quirk on the 2950dx whilst out mobile, quite often when you turn it on without alternator running it would come up with a blanl display,turn it off then on again it sorted itself, never ever noticed it with engine running, can only assume its very touchy to voltage drop,I didn't investigate it further as radio owner returned it to seller because of that and an issue outside of its performance.

I've heard others mention similar, but if you want to be mistaken for a taxi then the 2950 is certainly hard to beat,I hated the layout and still don't see the point of it having a clarifier at all nevermind an open one as its got vfo style readout. A clarifier only works on rx therefore as soon as you touch it your tx'ing and rx'ing on different frequencies,guaranteed to cause mayhem when talking to more than one station.

As for the S9, its a nice looking radio packed with shite that's useless like echo or as I call it tadger indicator,its highly overpriced,build quality is third rate at best,replace the moron mode switch (echo) with a speech processor it may have been semi decent, but it would still suck on build quality.now we come to the faggoty sore on the eyes led display,hmmm,would have been much better with red led's.

I'd rather have a rci 3900 hp anyday,looks nicer, has all the crap you'll ever not need and probably much cheaper than both the radios you mention, I just don't see the point on spending extra money for radios that do nothing to enhance performance over something basic like the rci3900hp that will do the same job,much better investing that extra cash into a better antenna or a kl203p that will achieve something, IMO the rci3900hp is THE best looking radio on the market today and one I'd snap up in a minute if it was imported to the UK, simple and straight forward with pretty standard layout.also comes with the benefit if your unlucky enough to get busted pirating 11m its a lot less to lose too,yet does the same job.

incidentally I practice what I preach,have 2 different ss3900's,one standard early crt and one eghp (to remind me off you guys,lol), plus 2 SS360FM variants,all of which do everything I need to work the world when you add a kl203p or a zetagi B300p and a decent antenna be it mobile or base.

Another I'd look at is the ss6900/maas dx 5000 and all its clones or even the cre 8900.

At the end of the day,when it comes to 11m radios then ergonomics play a far bigger part in choice than performance,as there's not much to choose between any of them in real life on air situations, sure some might give slightly better results on test gear,but I've yet to meet a radio user that talks to test gear in 3 decades of using export radios.

If you want a excellent talking AM radio, I suggest you find a S9, with the radio with the 1969 finals in it...and this radio also does a fine job with those low drive amps....

I know the one I had, I ran it into a MS 250, MF 350, TNT 600HD and my XF40012HD, and all with good results...the HD amps, had a low drive out of the amps big had a big swing....it did ok on SSB, but at the time I bought the S9 new, it was setup to do its best talking on AM...

You want a radio for SSB talking, I would go with the 2950dx, RCI, from what I experienced with the ome I had, they seem to be solid on ssb talking...

If you cant decided one way or the other, get both radios and try them out.....both are good radios, no doubt about it..

Im running a 2950dx as a base with a cheap 2 sd1446 amp, get great reports from all over using a home brew 1/2 wave dipole

Reactions: 2 people
2950dx

i have had all the versions of the 2950 radios,had a rci2900 back when they 1st came out...was a dealer back then.And the s9 is a glo cb..glorified shouldn't be called a 10mtr radio really...it drifts and never heard a really good one on ssb...the only good mag radio is the mag 257...the 257 30 wt the 25750 wtt and the 257hp are good...and dont like icoms also,sorry...hehe 73 de JW

When it comes down to it..the S9 is a copy of the Galaxy 99 which is a copy of ealier radios..all using the same core design. Sure..some added different layouts..top gun modulator nonsense and two wire compressor gimmicks..but all underneath it is the same beast with a little different paintjob all chinese manufactured and designed in the late 80's. They keep making em' because people keep buying 'em. Radio "techs" love it because they only have to memorize about half a dozen boards and can open up a CB shop. Even the magnum 257 is a copy of an older late 90's design.

Reactions: 1 person
When it comes down to it..the S9 is a copy of the Galaxy 99 which is a copy of ealier radios..

I dont no where you get this from....

The S9 used to run had the 1969 finals in it, wasnt anything like the 99, I sold my S9 like this to a guy over in Middlebrook, Va awhile back, and he was telling how well he likes his 99, and what it did, ect with his amps....

And I told him after he ran this S9 for a few weeks, he would sale that 99, so a few weeks pasted, and he sent me a email and said thats what he ended up doing, and was talking about how well that S9 drove his amps....

Ive never ran a 99 very long, just long enough to check it out, but this S9 w/1969 finals in it, thats one radio that will be hard to beat, with a good peak/tune this radio would be hard to beat..

I get this from the schematic and also knowing a lot in the business. If you can read a schematic...it is not hard to figure out. Just because the radio uses different "finals" does notmean the rest of it isn't identical for the most part. They were also changed due to nessesity due to cost and availability...not because of some breakthrough in the design process.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.