• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Magnum S9 what do you think??

w4bss

Aug 7, 2011
I got a Magnum S9 on the way. It is the 45watt version im guessing the non mosfet version. What do you guys think about the S9? I will be using it mainly on AM and sometimes on SSB. Is it LOUD on AM? Also how hard is it to install the SX-175 to this radio?

Thanks again!

pisd.jpg

You got it half-Azz backwards.....These are the kind of questions you should ask "BEFORE" you buy the radio!:oops::D

Reactions: 1 person
Calvin peeing on Magnum LOL!!! I haven't seen him since the 90's! Im getting this S9 in a trade for a smoked RCI 2970N2 that I have, so hopefully the S9 will perform ok. I have never owned any of their stuff, so I didn't know how good the quality was. I have heard some bad things about the 257HP, so I figured the S9 probably isn't any better. If I don't like it then it goes straight to ebay!

The S9 is one I never pulled the trigger on. If it was me, I'd probably have had the Ranger fixed. They are really good rigs from what I hear, and if you keep them tuned right they will last.

Opinions I have read for the S9 are like most other rigs, some love 'em, some hate 'em. Let us know how you make out.

RT307

My s-45HP is a good talker and very clear audio. I mainly use it on SSB.( mainly LSB ) I pick up the US west coast and some of the southern states on channel 38, 02 and 08.

I like it.

Did you ask for a refund?

Sent it back to where I bought it after 4 or 5 months worth of trips to the warranty shop, and told the guy to check it out, and see if he could find someone else to buy it and get whatever he could for it, and I would put that money towards some other radio...He agreed, so this way neither of us would get hurt too bad on the deal...

Sent it back, and that was the last I seen the radio or herd anything back from that dealer... So either he still has the radio, or maybe it's still got issues, or I got the shaft....I'm leaning towards the "shaft".:headbang

JesseJames your luck sounds like mine. I bought a brand new 2970N2 when they first came out. It went back to Ranger 4 times before they got it right. It kept blowing mosfets and was pulling close to 50amps at 320 watts output on SSB.

Finally they sent it back doing what it was suppose to do at 200 watts and it lasted for 2 years with no problems. Then POP it died again but this time the voltage regulator puked and burned the main board beyond repair.

Dang this hobby is expensive!

The S9 is one I never pulled the trigger on. If it was me, I'd probably have had the Ranger fixed. They are really good rigs from what I hear, and if you keep them tuned right they will last.

Opinions I have read for the S9 are like most other rigs, some love 'em, some hate 'em. Let us know how you make out.

RT307

2RT307 the Ranger was not fixable, but it was a very fine rig and very strong on SSB. The main board was toast but the amp section was still good and the guy with the S9 had a 2970N2 with a burned amp section. That's the reason we swapped.

I'll let you guys know how I make out with the S9.

I got a Magnum S9 on the way. It is the 45watt version im guessing the non mosfet version. What do you guys think about the S9? I will be using it mainly on AM and sometimes on SSB. Is it LOUD on AM? Also how hard is it to install the SX-175 to this radio?

Thanks again!

Nope. WILL be a mosfet rig.

Why would you want to add a xx-75 to a medium power radio? Either use this with a real amp or get a 100W radio to start with like a Galaxy DX 94HP

Good luck

Thanks again!

Regardless of what some people feel let me just say this MAGNUM RADIO'S KICK BUTT. You made a fine purchase. The only Magnum radio's that had issues was years ago the Maverick, and then recently there was a bad run of Omegaforce HP radio's. There were also some hit or miss last batch 257HP's. The S9 has always been a strong radio in any of the three power versions they sell.

That said they They do make an RFX-175 power cabinate that can be installed on your S9. This would turn it into a 175 watt radio. I still think a nice 2 pill amp would be a better choice but that's up to you.

I've got a local that runs one in his pickup! He beats the crap out of that radio and it is still one of the loudest, best sounding radios in town. I almost bought one but picked up a 2950DX instead.

Never owned the S9 but have heard the audio monster in action. I own a Magnum S45HP with the RFX-75 set up nicely 14 watts swinging to 55 or so with the Top gun on. Set em up too high and burn them out. No need to squease every last watt out of em. thats what amps are for. nice loing rdio too. I also have 1a 2950DX and love it to. Was told to stay away from the 2970 because of problems, Hope they have the latest 2970 perfected.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.