• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Maintenance costs have hurt this year

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
I just started thinking about what this hobby has cost me this year for repairs:

Ameritron AL-800H LF coil warped: $250
Icom 2720H driver failure: $85 (I should have fixed this one myself)
Kenwood THF-6a SMA broken: $25 (fixed it myself)
Icom 746Pro driver failure: $195
Icom 746Pro no tune on 15m: TBD
LDG AT-897 tuner (lots of problems): TBD (hopefully warranty will be honored)
D104 Silver Eagle: mic element went kapuut...decided it wasn't worth the cost to fix.

The only piece of equipment I've purchased this year is a RigExpert Standard interface. I could have bought a lot of nice stuff with the money I've spent on fixing stuff this year.

:( :angry: :( :angry:

Yeah the radio hobby does get expensive once you get into it...

Whether buying new toys or fixing and upgrading the ones you have.

I have bought 2 new amps, 3 new antenna's, a new radio, and new coax this year.

Just bought the wife a new set of pans that she has been wanting to prevent the "You have spent how much on radio stuff this year?!?!?!" Question from coming up.

Nothing spectacular
New 3-500ZG for the Heathkit SB-1000 after 23 years of service of the Eimac tube, 230 Dollars
Checkup of the P.A. just replacing some parts that might be suspect, softstart was already done.

New relais for the homebrew PSU (50 amp) that was used in the softstart section, lasted 11 years, time for a new one.

Nothing else, till now that is...;)

Well Tim, you of all people should no there is not any free lunches...

I feel for the monetary loss you have suffered, However look at it this way
that you are able to afford those toys to begin with.

No doubt you work hard to earn the right and deserve them, So do what I do
and thats cuss a little, cry some, and then AVERAGE it all out over the time you
have owned this Stuff and it does not hurt so bad or at least thats the way I see it.

Since I am no longer able to afford the toys as I once was, then just making do is
the order of the day.
Doubt this is any consolation but it was your post and just my 2 cents worth.

The very best to you as always..

Regards,
John___ KD5WJY

Last edited:
That does seem like quite a few things went wrong for you this year. Hopefully, like Dealer said, things will average out for you and your stuff will behave for a while before the next thing goes wrong.

I've been really lucky the last few years, knock on wood. I will have to try to keep that in mind next time I have to ship something away for repairs.

I didn't buy much in new equipment this year, I spent some money on upgrades, like getting my DX2517 re-crystalled and aligned for full 10 meter coverage, and getting a narrower SSB filter for my FT847. I also bought some antenna making supplies and tools, including a new soldering iron.

I fixed one SE element. The foil baffle came loose from the aluminum housing, so a bit of super glue around the edge and good as new.

I don't even want to think about it. It is not done yet but I need to send my FT-857 in for repairs.There is an oscillation problem in the 6m and upper HF bands.$$$ My rotator has a broken ring gear at the least.I need to get it down to see. $$$ My tribander is a bit beat up and needs some aluminum tubing or fiberglass tubing to reinforce the element-boom mounting points.$$ Next year I plan to replace the tower with a brand new 56 footer and a new rotator and possibly a new tribander. $$$$!! :angry:

I remember what my elmer told me when i first started

"learn to fix your own , or it will be an expensive hobby"

if i tried to recall what i spent on amateur radio this year
it would pale in comparison to what i spent on guitars, effects and the two marshall stacks i purchased ,
gotta have your priorities i guess ;-)

73 de rich

I just started thinking about what this hobby has cost me this year for repairs:

Ameritron AL-800H LF coil warped: $250
Icom 2720H driver failure: $85 (I should have fixed this one myself)
Kenwood THF-6a SMA broken: $25 (fixed it myself)
Icom 746Pro driver failure: $195
Icom 746Pro no tune on 15m: TBD
LDG AT-897 tuner (lots of problems): TBD (hopefully warranty will be honored)
D104 Silver Eagle: mic element went kapuut...decided it wasn't worth the cost to fix.

The only piece of equipment I've purchased this year is a RigExpert Standard interface. I could have bought a lot of nice stuff with the money I've spent on fixing stuff this year.

:( :angry: :( :angry:

Well the Kenwood SMA failure seems to have been user abuse :headbang

The AT-897, well user abuse again :headbang

Ameritron, 2500 watts on 11 meter LOL, something is bound to fail, oh and it is MFJ

The ICOMs?

ICOM = I Can Only Monitor :thumbdown: :D

Upgrade to a Kenwood TS-2000 (y)

Just bought a "new" FT 847, the old one is now 10 years old, and this one was still in original packaging, never used.
Date from the serial makes it one of the 1st mmonth of 2004, the amateur bought it but neveer came to use it.

With the old one going in reserve, the new one needs a few mods, referrence oscillator Xtal oven, Schottky diode bandswitch diode change, fans regulated by temperature control and the Collins filters from the old one go to the new one.

After wich the old FT 847 will get a complete check up, back in the box for spare.
The tube in the SB-1000 just replaced this weekend, to the new 3-500ZG from RF parts. the Ft100 overhauled for the winter, checking all settings, and specs.

Looks like i'm set for another few years of fun ;)

Sorry to read about the bad luck Moleculo, Murphy had a fild day there it seems....
Take care

I remember what my elmer told me when i first started

"learn to fix your own , or it will be an expensive hobby"
That's good advice for people who are capable of fixing their own equipment. Me, I'm just coming to grips with the fact that I have no business messing around with a 500 dollar plus piece of electronics. :D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.