• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Make my Browning MK4 Ping

longhaireddwb

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Oct 8, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Now that I got a good working mic. I now what to make the MK4 Ping. The older versions MK3 and the 2 had a cool ping/squeal sound when you keyed up. from what I read it was a feedback or something between the RX and the TX not stopping and starting quick enough. But not too sure.

I did some searching in the WWW and found where a Cap can be added that goes from pin 6 of the 6AQ5 tube to ground and to check to be sure that R238 (3.3K) resistor is still good. Even found picks. The place for the cap is not marked on my board as I seen on other boards on the WWW.

I checked the resistor and it was good. I bought a 20uF/450V cap and put it in the location that was mentioned (with the ground of the cap going to ground) and gave it a try. No diff. No Ping.

Anyone who knows the old radios got a clue they can give me on this? I even found a mod in the secret CB books showing putting a few caps wired into this location on a switch so you can have longer or shorter pings.

Anyone know whats up on this?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.