• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Maldol HVU-8 Antenna...

ranger56528

Jan 24, 2011
Just got done installing this on my roof and ran the coax down the side of my house and drilled a hole through the wall,ran coax through wall(before wife came home (y)),sealed it up and now waiting,i want to put a Analyzer on it 1st to make sure the radials and radiators are right,think I have them within 1-3mm but hopefully closer to 0-1mm...Then will run it through my MFJ-945E to my TS2000........

Hope Iam right on this set-up being a dipole or a ground Vertical will not work for me......

Using RG-8 coax for the whole set-up. Here's a pic:

HVU-8Antenna001.jpg

I'd like to know how this works out for you, a friend of mine is thinking of getting into ham but has a pretty restricted area for antennas.

ANTENNA

Keep us posted, a friend in TEXAS uses one, no complaints and I have talked to a few guys using them, and rate them high..keep us posted.

DOCTOR/795

I will let you know how it works as soon as i get the antenna analyzer from the club...I so want to turn the rig on now but haveing a new TS2000 I want everything to be on target when i hit the power button...
Putting the antenna together wasn't that hard would of been faster if i had a ruler that was in mm rather then inchs heeheehee dang math,but all in all I had it up and coax ran in about 2 hours start to finish.....

Should interesting to see how it tunes and performs for you. The antenna is only getting average ratings on eham. Hey, it's a compromise antenna for people with limited space so it's not going to perform even as well as a single band dipole.

Also seems to be very difficult to tune below 20 meters and has a narrow bandwidth.

Will take a pic today(23rd)and post it......

I turned the rig on and i am reciving but need to figure out the 2000,lots of bells and whistles for a new guy.....Not to much going on but i am picking up on 3.925 and a few others but need to get the noise out....Will see how morning/early afternoon signals go.....

Sometimes, I think the number in the model name refers to the number of functions you can do from the buttons/knobs on the front panel of the thing! :)

Somewhere on the front of that TS-2000 there's a button that says "Tune" (upper left probably). Punching it turns on the auto-tuner in the radio. Can't hurt anything, use it. Then see how the antenna works. I'd check it with the analyzer anyway, but that '2000 can handle it if it's anywhere close to 'right'.
- 'Doc

My Elmer is bringing over his antenna analyzer today around 1pm,picked up the morning group on 3.930 witch is about 100 miles away........
Here is that pic...
HVU-8Antenna001.jpg

Interesting antenna. I'm guessing that you need radials laid on the roof or ???

Guys, remember, if you make a thread like this and include pics in the first post (toward the top of the post), that's a very good way to get your thread on the front page of the site (y) I edited the post to include the pic. If you can size it down just a bit, or chop off the sides, that would help it fit better on the site.

Not the best when it comes to pics,glad I can just post them but I hear ya....
Ok so this antenna serves a purpose...Limited room for antenna,anyways we did make a contact but it was weak and the weather was not the best for me to stand on the roof and adjust radials and radiators,it will serve as my 2m/440 and 6m....My Elmer had a dipole(ruff 30m)in his trunk that we ended up running from a evergreen on NW side of house to a cottenwood on the SE side of house and that made me rethink everything...
I think i can fit a 40m dipole over my roof tree to tree........
I think if i lived in a more populated area the Maldol would work way better then here out in the sticks where the closest repeter is 26 miles away..........Iam sure it will be ok when we get all the adjustments made but the dipole is the better way for me to go....The dipole made my TS2000 very happy.........

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.