• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

MARS and CAP Modifications

Maybe it depends on the radio. I can't remember, but I read where the mod was $150. I just assumed that was their flat rate on all units. I dug a little deeper on both sites. Looks like differing prices based upon rig chosen. I suppose, higher price means more user skill required.

I understand this radio has so many bells and whistles. I just use it in 11 meters.. I don't know all of the functions even thought I read the manual...

Reactions: Sonar
It's been going on for a long time. I had a friend that bought a 746 Pro about 10 years ago, and HRO did it for him then. Truly not many MARS/CAP guys out there for the number of rigs that are converted. ;)

Brett

I've noticed that some retailers are performing these mods upon request for an extra charge. Gigaparts charges around $150 and HRO is $35. Most retailers demanded proof of membership before doing the mods. Now, they leave the legality up to the purchaser. I will say, $35 is a fair price.

Times be changing....

I agree that around $35 is a fair price for it. $150 is just robbery in my opinion regardless of the radio. In all cases it is simply a matter of either resoldering some jumper pads or removing/adding a couple SMD parts that any tech should be competent enough to do.

Reactions: Tallman and NZ8N
They used to charge a fee for removing that pesky little green wire from ameritron amplifiers but I don't see that option anymore. Maybe those are sold as the more expensive export models.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Maybe it depends on the radio. I can't remember, but I read where the mod was $150. I just assumed that was their flat rate on all units. I dug a little deeper on both sites. Looks like differing prices based upon rig chosen. I suppose, higher price means more user skill required.

Some rigs are just more difficult to make the mod. Some you have to dig into the radio quite a ways to get to the components that you need to change. They need much more disassembly. Sometimes you just need to disconnect a wire. Sometimes you have to remove a couple surface mount components which requires more skill, proper equipment, maybe time, etc.

Reactions: L2
The Yeasu FT1000MP was the easiest, it was simple selection in a hidden settings menu.

Too bad the rest of them couldn't be like that.

gigaparts charged me 75$ to do my icom 7300
i could have done it myself. but the eyed are not so good anymore. smt
parts are way to small for me.

Reactions: Mudfoot

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.