• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Max optimizer antenna

jerry S

Sep 17, 2023
SWR around 1.0 on upper and lower side band, and 2.0 on AM and FM. Reads the same on 2 different radios, Lincoln II +, and Stryker SR-447HPC2. You would think it would be the same across the band!

Lately the max 2000 antennas have SUCKED. A local put up a brand new one and can't get his swr lower than a 1.5.

Lately the max 2000 antennas have SUCKED. A local put up a brand new one and can't get his swr lower than a 1.5.
The new ones are made for 10M. You have to use the "Max Optimizer" version or if you already have a MAX2000, you will need to purchase the 12" section for ~$50 to get it to tune properly on 11M.

SWR around 1.0 on upper and lower side band, and 2.0 on AM and FM. Reads the same on 2 different radios, Lincoln II +, and Stryker SR-447HPC2. You would think it would be the same across the band!
Jerry,

Welcome.

2.0 was the best SWR you could get after adjusting the tuning rings?

Yes, I'm going to put a better ground on the mast. Plus put the optimizer section in that should take care of it.

50 bucks for the section???? What's so special about it that it's 50.00???
Nothing, other than a way to screw you out of another $50.

Originally the 3 sections were 8' - 24' long. Somewhere along the way (new ownership, shipping, or FCC reasons) they started making the 3 sections 7'8" each. Which lets them work on 10 M but don't tune on 11M. Hence the ripoff $50 for the additional 12" that they removed.

That's what makes a "Max Optimizer" different than a Max 2000 - it includes the 12" part to make it work on 11M.

I got mine just before they made the Max Optimizer version, so I extended the tip with a 12" piece of stainless soldered to the conductor. It's been great for 2+ years now.

Does anyone know what the true SSB power handling is for this antenna? Looking at doing a big station upgrade this winter, kinda hate to lose the multi band ability of the IMAX, but if it won't handle 2K+ I'll need to include an antenna in the upgrade.

I went through 3. I have an 8 pill and eventually it can't handle it. I wouldn't put more than 700w into it. It does not deliver its rated 2Kw. AND with that said....here the 3rd one still sits atop an 85ft pine tree for the past 4 years now tuned apparently to 26.6Mhz. Now even if I tune to that frequency anything over 200w's make the SWR climb and the longer you key the higher it gets. The 3rd lasted 2 months.
MY opinion(only) is its JUNK. People with big power need to stay with metal antennas like my trusty Penetrator from 1978.

Reactions: Dr. Frankenstein

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.