• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

May be in need of a bigger alternator

roadrage

Granted, my auxiliary battery shorted out and I disconnected it before it damaged the primary battery and alternator.

But I was driving up the Golden Road, on my way to camp Friday night. Every time I key up and talk my headlights flicker like modulation lamps. I'm feeding my TNT 600HD with high strand 4 gauge cable. My truck came from the factory with 130A alternator. I hope that after I buy a replacement auxiliary battery, my power supply will be sufficient. If not, I see a 200A alternator in my future.

Your TnT amp can draw up to 100 amps, after you add in what the vehicle needs and the radio you have driving the amp your pushing things with a 130 amp alternator. Two nice yellow top Optima's would help hold the line but your probably better off with a 200 amp alternator.

I'm running a 102" and the truck is fully bonded. I soldered my own coax for the shortest runs possible. I'm using quality cable (LMR 200) with sufficient power handling. I think the antenna system is pretty good. I've spent a lot of time tweaking my install.

ok... you win... hahaha... have you done any alternator wiring upgrades? grounding ect?

ok... you win... hahaha... have you done any alternator wiring upgrades? grounding ect?

Aside from the bonding straps on all the body, I did add additional braided ground strap from the (-) battery post to the frame and also to the engine block. I didn't want any body mount bushings or motor/tranny mounts to insulate. Everything metal should be well grounded. I also used a 9" radio bracket, where I cut the carpet and bolted it to the floor panel. So even the radio chassis is grounded.

Luckily the HD version 2500s come from the dealer with some factory beef ups. Aside from the suspension upgrades, bigger tranny cooler, power steering cooler, extra battery, 130A alt., etc.. The alternator charge wire looks like at least 10 gauge. It is a lot bigger than what comes on most cars and trucks I've seen. Its twice the size of the one on my F-150. I do have a 6 gauge battery cable kicking around. I could use the 6 gauge cable and cut shorter to replace the stock charging wire and see how that works. Thanks for the idea.

Replacing the auxiliary battery should help too. It shorted out and was draining the primary battery and overworking the charging circuit. I had to unhook it the other day. I was hoping to replace it today. The parts store closed early and I was at my oldest son's birthday party. So I didn't make it in time. I'm going to have to do it tomorrow.

Your TnT amp can draw up to 100 amps, after you add in what the vehicle needs and the radio you have driving the amp your pushing things with a 130 amp alternator. Two nice yellow top Optima's would help hold the line but your probably better off with a 200 amp alternator.

Very true. The radio alone can draw 25A. Of course it only draws that at full power. I run the radio pretty low with the amp on. Still, the radio and amp takes up a good chunk of the output of the alternator. I can get a 145A through Summit Racing for $200 but I don't think it is enough of a gain to bother. The 200A is $279 and bolts right up to the stock bracket. I'll hold on to the original alternator, too, just in case I ever upgrade to an 8 pill. I can add the second alternator in place of the A/C compressor that doesn't work anyway.

With an amplifier of that size the larger alternator will be a nessissity. You would also benifit from upgrading the charge wire to 4 guage and go directly from the alternator to the battery.

I run a streight 4 transistor amplifier, And running a 170 amp alternator and the lights still dim a little. Don't forget that you have to factor in a 10 to 15% drop in available current when the alternator gets hot.

Don't forget that you have to factor in a 10 to 15% drop in available current when the alternator gets hot.

That is something I didn't take into consideration, either. I hope that with two working batteries and a decent alternator all working in conjunction, they will all share the load a little. That might help keep the alternator from getting too warm. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

That is something I didn't take into consideration, either. I hope that with two working batteries and a decent alternator all working in conjunction, they will all share the load a little. That might help keep the alternator from getting too warm. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

That will never handle the 16 pill we all know you want.

I would never waste my money on that much power. I doubt I'll ever even go for an 8 pill. It was an idea, but that was all. I am actually pretty happy with my set-up as it sits. My 4 pill is getting my numbers called pretty consistently on channel 6. Even when conditions don't seem the greatest. If its working well, why complicate it further? Just leave it alone and go with it, lol. If I do want to start spending big money, I need to get my license. Money would be better spent on some decent amateur equipment.

Comparatively my mobile isn't huge watts, like many of the guys down there on channel 6. But it is clean and on frequency, and that makes up for a lot of it. So I don't need 2 or 10 KW of power to make the trip. I am more proud to be doing it with 600W of clean power, rather than 10,000W across 8 channels. I may just be a CBer, but I take pride in my work.

I would never waste my money on that much power. I doubt I'll ever even go for an 8 pill. It was an idea, but that was all. I am actually pretty happy with my set-up as it sits. My 4 pill is getting my numbers called pretty consistently on channel 6. Even when conditions don't seem the greatest. If its working well, why complicate it further? Just leave it alone and go with it, lol. If I do want to start spending big money, I need to get my license. Money would be better spent on some decent amateur equipment.

Comparatively my mobile isn't huge watts, like many of the guys down there on channel 6. But it is clean and on frequency, and that makes up for a lot of it. So I don't need 2 or 10 KW of power to make the trip. I am more proud to be doing it with 600W of clean power, rather than 10,000W across 8 channels. I may just be a CBer, but I take pride in my work.

Double your power to gain 1/2 an s unit, a 16 pill would gain you 1 s unit over a 4 pill. For most people that is not worth the effort.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.