• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Maybe this is where my questions should be. . .

crmzendrgone

CB newbie
Nov 29, 2010
M town Arizona
So I have noticed that when I transmit that the lights on my CB DIM, what casues that?

Second what gauge wire should I use to run power to the CB, also do I need to hard wire the CB to my battery; at present it is wired to the junction box under my dash.

Thanks! Josh

Try running power leads (good, heavy ones) directly to the battery. See if the display dims as much, or less, or at all.

By "heavy", I mean no smaller than what's furnished with the radio.

My RCI-2950DX's do that also with the factory supplied power cords connected directly to the battery charged at 14.9 volts by a 150 amp alternator.:whistle:

mack, your 2950 does it for a different reason.

josh,

you are either using too small a gauge of wire for your power connection to your radio, or you have it hooked up to a source that cant deliver the amperage your radio needs, or, both.

did you buy your power cord at radio shack?
the ones that come with the radios are usually 16ga. but the ones that radio shack sells separately are 18ga. which is just too small.

you want to run a 12ga. wire right to the positive terminal of the battery.
make sure you add a fuse a few inches from the battery for fire safety.
this fuse should be rated for about 7-10 amps.
yes, you will have two fuses on the same wire, one on the radio end and one on the battery end.
they are there for different reasons and are both needed.

the negative wire should be connected to the metal chassis of the vehicle somewhere under the dash. cut the negative wire down to the amount you need to get to the grounded bolt or whatever, attempting to keep it about a foot long or under.

connecting your CB like this not only provides it with all the current that it needs, it also helps keep noise from getting into the radio.

if you do get ignition or alternator noise, just install one of those car stereo noise filters inline with the positive wire.

here is a good cord for your CB:

POWER CORD 12 Ga HEAVY Duty 3 pin Plug CB / Ham radio - eBay (item 150528708368 end time Jan-02-11 09:04:55 PST)

LC

mack, your 2950 does it for a different reason.

josh,

you are either using too small a gauge of wire for your power connection to your radio, or you have it hooked up to a source that cant deliver the amperage your radio needs, or, both.

did you buy your power cord at radio shack?
the ones that come with the radios are usually 16ga. but the ones that radio shack sells separately are 18ga. which is just too small.

you want to run a 12ga. wire right to the positive terminal of the battery.
make sure you add a fuse a few inches from the battery for fire safety.
this fuse should be rated for about 7-10 amps.
yes, you will have two fuses on the same wire, one on the radio end and one on the battery end.
they are there for different reasons and are both needed.

the negative wire should be connected to the metal chassis of the vehicle somewhere under the dash. cut the negative wire down to the amount you need to get to the grounded bolt or whatever, attempting to keep it about a foot long or under.

connecting your CB like this not only provides it with all the current that it needs, it also helps keep noise from getting into the radio.

if you do get ignition or alternator noise, just install one of those car stereo noise filters inline with the positive wire.

here is a good cord for your CB:

POWER CORD 12 Ga HEAVY Duty 3 pin Plug CB / Ham radio - eBay (item 150528708368 end time Jan-02-11 09:04:55 PST)

LC

Yes, this is an assumption only but I believe RCI has to many circuits running on one of it's voltage regulators (ei) back lights,lcd's and parts of an audio circuit.

Will that reach from my battery to my radio?

goto your local autozone,advance, or a tractor place and get some 16 gwg
wire.this [dimming] is it with engine off or on?or both?also check battery
with digital multi meter. make sure you have at least 13.8 .with it running
should see around 14.5 give or take.if its less than 13.8 with it running
you may need a new battery

goto your local autozone,advance, or a tractor place and get some 16 gwg
wire.this [dimming] is it with engine off or on?or both?also check battery
with digital multi meter. make sure you have at least 13.8 .with it running
should see around 14.5 give or take.if its less than 13.8 with it running
you may need a new battery

Ok.

Dimming is with both engine on and off. Never thought that the battery may be low.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.