• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Medium-sized amp suggestions

tankthebiker

Feb 12, 2014
Hello everyone. I am setting up my Tundra with a Cobra 29LX and I looking for amp suggestions under 500watts at a decent price.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

100W is more than enough. Spend your money and time on the antenna system. Once you start to come up to around 300-400W you start having all kinds of issues rearing their heads.

Reactions: Stellasarat
With the Cobra, probably a DX350 or DX500 Texas Star NON VARIABLE. Did I mention NON VARIABLE? The DX350 will probably do all you need and save you a few coins in the meantime. Buy a fan for it. :)

RT307

With the Cobra, probably a DX350 or DX500 Texas Star NON VARIABLE. Did I mention NON VARIABLE? The DX350 will probably do all you need and save you a few coins in the meantime. Buy a fan for it. :)

RT307
I'm not sure you can get the non-variable dx500 anymore, but I could have looked in the wrong places.

The V model will be ok with a Cobra 29.
With a 2 watt dead key you should see about a 100 watt out from a 500.
A well tuned 29 lx should show over 25 watts peak ( bird 43/peak kit) and that is enough to drive the amp to 500 peak.
You may find that you can just run it on high ( red button only) and that drops the VR out anyway.
If you want to reduce power twist the VR full open, leave it there , and depress the green dial a watt button, this ads some padding resistors inline that will drop dead key and peak.

As has already been said, if you plan on working SSB in the future the 500 is a good plug n play amp.
Feed it a solid 13.8 to 14 volts and put a fan on it to keep it cool.

Last edited:
The V model will be ok with a Cobra 29.
With a 2 watt dead key you should see about a 100 watt out from a 500.
A well tuned 29 lx should show over 25 watts peak ( bird 43/peak kit) and that is enough to drive the amp to 500 peak.
You may find that you can just run it on high ( red button only) and that drops the VR out anyway.
If you want to reduce power twist the VR full open, leave it there , and depress the green dial a watt button, this ads some padding resistors inline that will drop dead key and peak.

As has already been said, if you plan on working SSB in the future the 500 is a good plug n play amp.
Feed it a solid 13.8 to 14 volts and put a fan on it to keep it cool.

If you plan on working SSB in the future than(y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.