• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Medium-sized amp suggestions

Yep. I am not power hungry just diving into a new hobby for fun. Trying to see what I can do on a budget.

What Jerk is saying here is you need to multiply your power by 4 to increase the signal at the receiving end of you transmission just 1 S unit(6dB's) so don't get power hungry. At 256 watts you have added 3s units to get 3 more it gets crazy, 16,000watts!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I personally would not recommend the Midnight Special line if you're going to talk SSB. They are class C biased, even though they have the SSB delay. I had the 700 model, and heard nothing but complaints about my crunchy crispy audio. That was with a low drive Grant XL. That's just my experience, your mileage may vary. :D

RT307

That's the best deal i can find on an amp under $200 that is compatible with ssb, so I might get it and just deal with it. Have any better suggestions?
as long as I sound decent enough that people can still understand what i'm saying well enough to make QSOs, that's ok with me ;)

What 307 is saying is most operators will not call back a bad sounding transmission, you want to be clean and clear. You need a real AB biased amp.

Just to give you an idea I had the TS-350 HDV and was using it on SSB with a Ranger 2950 on 10 and 11 meters . On ten I wou get responses from most of the Hams I called, even in a pile up. Imax 2000 at 31 ft to the base. It is harder on 11 meters with all the hash and trash. The Texas Star as I was told sounded good and most people could not tell I wasn't on a K wood Yaesu etc. The Midnight special may not be the best but if you don't overdrive it set the mic gain and mic properly and have the radio set to 1 - 1 1/2 watts or 2 They aren't that bad
CBRadioMagazine.com - Xforce Midnight Special 250 Amplifier Review

CBRadioMagazine.com - Texas Star 350 DX Amplifier Review

The 500 is a nice amp, the 350 will get the job done. I would buy a good SSB radio before the larger amp.

Got my amp today as well as my radio setup to run it. A used and modified Texas Star 399v and with the 2w deadkey I can swing 150watts and everything cost me around $100 great sounding starter amp even if it was used.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Seriously, a Cobra 29 lx will drive a 4 pill amp? Say a Xforce TNT 600 HD? If it does I might have to try that some day with my 29. The Stryker 955 does not like the TNT 600 hd at all.

Radio's SWR meter, and alarm are saying high, but externally the swr is good between the radio and amp, and amp and antenna.

I'm not the first person this has happened to either. My radio's swr is flat, and after the amp it is 1.1.1 to maybe 1.2.1.

All new LMR-400 UF all the way around. So if I can't use this radio with that amp I guess It will just have to be barefoot. The radio is still awesome, but I really wanted this amp to work with this radio.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.