1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

MegaWatt vs. Chinese Imitation 30 amp switching power supply comparison

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Moleculo, Mar 19, 2015.

1. dave457

dave457
    Expand Collapse

Dude, they make fans that are literally silent! and I don't think a fan running all the time when the unit is just on or pulling amps will hurt anything other than needs a good dusting out every now and then

222DBFL likes this.

2. N0NB

N0NB
    Expand Collapse

Can you recommend a way that doesn't void the warranty, DUDE?

3. Old_Crow

Old_Crow
    Expand Collapse

Been using them for a few years now and I added a large 4M cap as a filter and no problems. I got it from a auto stereo shop.

4. Megawatt

Megawatt
    Expand Collapse
    Contributing Site Sponsor

The fans run all the time to eliminate heat cycling. The constant heating and cooling of the internal parts of a power supply is what causes early failure. The problem is the power supply needs 25 CFM to keep it cool so the movement of air is what you are hearing. The fan manufacturer and my db meter both read 30 db at 3 feet with the fan blowing away from the meter. Feel free to open the case and change the fan if you can find one quieter but 30 db is the quietest double ball bearing fan I can find that moves 25 CFM. I know this thread is old but I didn't see it before.

#109 Megawatt, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    LeapFrog likes this.