• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

meters

Modulation meters are one of the most over rated pieces of gear in any station. They are not very accurate and basically serve as a "feel good" kind of thing. Modulation should be read on either an oscilloscope or a lab grade professional modulation meter. Neither Astatic nor Dosy make such modulation meters.

Reactions: 1 person
mod

Yea, not worried about the modulation part of the meter.

Just want the best swr/watt meter that I can run mobile.

Thanks,

Yeah, tat Astatic sucked in cbradiomag's review. I waslooking at those but will keep the 20 year old RadioShack meter.

The radio shack meters are hard to beat for mobile or base use, while not the top of the line, they are good performers and will handle some power as well. I keep one handy in the mobile just in case I notice something isn't working correctly. I don't keep it connected all the time either, not necessary IMO unless you like looking at meters. Normally with daily use comes the knowledge that your equipment is Operational and is working correctly. Again this is JMO. Get your readings and set swr correctly and take the meter out of line and store it back in the Box and don't let it get beat around. Again this is JMO. But I have found that while handy, having a meter in line all the Time can be a PITA and depending on the vehicle, the meter can become damaged from being banged around. JMO. Set it and check it occasionally if you feel that something is wrong. God bless.

Reactions: 1 person
My 2x8 pill base keys 400 and swings to 800 watts on a Bird 43 with less than 10 watts reflect. That same equipment will swing 1800 watts plus on a Dosy. ;)

Reactions: 2 people
I am running a Diamond SX-200.
Compared to my Dosy it seems to be more realistic. It is not made for a mobile installation but small enough where you could fabricate a mount easy enough.

rat shack

Yea, I have the rat shack meter mentoined above. But I'm installing a sweet 16 behind a 2970N2 and needs some accuracy, don't want to make any of that fancy "smoke"

{Cry_river}

My 2x8 pill base keys 400 and swings to 800 watts on a Bird 43 with less than 10 watts reflect. That same equipment will swing 1800 watts plus on a Dosy. ;)

The funny thing is, a 43p will read more watts than a Dosy. So I never got the whole Dosy joke.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.