• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

MFJ-207

I see two problems with it. One,the frequency resolution is rather coarse but you could always listen on a receiver to know the exact freq you are tuned too. Second, it only reads SWR which only tells you half the story of what your antenna is tuned like. You have no idea if that 1.5:1 reading is because the antennna presents a pure 75 ohms, a pure 32 ohms or some weird combination of resistance and reactance that makes up an SWR of 1.5:1. It will also not show you if the antenna is resonant or not. Remember an antenna can be resonant even when the impedance is other than 50 ohms.

QRN said:
I see two problems with it. One,the frequency resolution is rather coarse but you could always listen on a receiver to know the exact freq you are tuned too. Second, it only reads SWR which only tells you half the story of what your antenna is tuned like. You have no idea if that 1.5:1 reading is because the antennna presents a pure 75 ohms, a pure 32 ohms or some weird combination of resistance and reactance that makes up an SWR of 1.5:1. It will also not show you if the antenna is resonant or not. Remember an antenna can be resonant even when the impedance is other than 50 ohms.

I understand all that. well that pretty much sucks for 99 bucks + 12 for shipping..lol as I can do that by hand seting my SWR for channel 20 using my SWR meter then checking 4up and 4 down to see if channel 20 is my resonance channel...as for ohms well its the starduster M-400 which should be 50ohms....
thanks for the info and I will be saving for a bigger one :)

I read some reviews on eham.net after I posted above and there were a lot of negative comments about it.Basically it is just an SWR meter. I have the MFJ-269 and although not cheap by any standards especially up here,I am glad I bought it. It does SOOOO much more than read antenna SWR or impedance. I used it to make coaxial stubs and traps as well as tuned feeders and it is a snap to do so when using it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.